How to remove wheel weights from stock wheels?

clicknext

:
2006 Tungsten Grey Mazda6 GT I4
I'm trying to remove the weights from my stock 02 rims, they're the type that clip to the edge of the rim face. Tried using something to pry it off, but I don't want to gouge it too deeply, how do I get em off?

Go to a wheel shop real quick, they hammer them on, and they have the tool to take them off. It's like a little hammer/ crimper/pliers. Should take them two seconds.

Gmac

Uhm - why?

Selling/shipping - okay....

Just to save weight/look cool? There may be other impacts (i am just asking...)

you could take them off and get your wheel rebalanced and have them just put the weights on the inside. It's what most people want with chrome rims

Uhm - why?

Selling/shipping - okay....

Just to save weight/look cool? There may be other impacts (i am just asking...)

I know what you mean - obviously there is a reason they're there; to balance the wheels.

I'm repainting my wheels and besides the fact that the new paint might change the balance, I don't want to paint over the weights and then have big ugly unpainted spots when I need to get my wheels rebalanced sometime in the future.

So after I paint them, I will probably get them to rebalance using the stick-on type weights.

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

Paint won't really affect balance and the weights may not stick to the new paint. I suggest you just paint over them....

Don't paint over them. Tires are weighted differently, the balance of the rim and tire depend on a few things. One of those things is the balance and the weight of the tire.

At some point in time you will have to rebalance the wheel, so don't paint over them. Take them off, do it right. ;)

Gmac

Back