How to remove the plastic cover behind/inside the rear liftgate?

petitevan

:
2017 Mazda CX-3 AWD Touring
Hello all,

I just installed a backup camera (the type that fits on the top of the plate) today and would like to route the wire through one of the small holes under the plate. I should be able to squeeze the wire through the hole, but I need to take the plastic cover off in order to pull the wire out. Can anyone help? The plastic cover covers the compartment that houses the mechanical components for the rear windshield wiper. I can probably use something sharp to open it, but would like some guidance so I won't cause any permanent damage to the car.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I just installed a backup camera (the type that fits on the top of the plate) today and would like to route the wire through one of the small holes under the plate. I should be able to squeeze the wire through the hole, but I need to take the plastic cover off in order to pull the wire out. Can anyone help? The plastic cover covers the compartment that houses the mechanical components for the rear windshield wiper. I can probably use something sharp to open it, but would like some guidance so I won't cause any permanent damage to the car.

Thanks!

Maybe this thread might help, it shows the routing of wiring for a backup camera.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123727457&page=2

Thanks for the reference. Now I have a better idea of how to route the wires, but I am still looking for the right tool to prop open the panel. I love my 5 and do not plan to sell it any time soon, but I also don't want to leave any marks on the panel. Any suggestions? :)

You can gently pull it loose; see the attachment from the Workshop Manual

Attachments

• Liftgate trim removal.bmp
    545.8 KB · Views: 4,298
Thanks so much for the pic. I finally found time today to remove the panel and finish routing the wire. Bullaculla, who posted the first thread on installation of his backup camera, is the God of 5 Mods, his mods are simply jaw-dropping. The backup camera that I have is a strip and must be mounted to the license plate holes, so I routed the wire through the hole underneath the plastic cover for the light right above the plate. The wire is then taped to the interior panel. By the way, the end fuses of my cam are connected to a charger adapter and plugged into the lighter charger on the left of the trunk so it can be on all the time. The reason for that is I do not want to mess with the light fuses. Could there be any possible drawbacks?

I doubt it. The draw of the backup camera is very low. I might try to power mine the same way as yours. Right now mine is getting its power from the reverse light, so it only gets power when in reverse. My HU allows me to switch to the back up camera feed when ever I want, but since the camera has no power, I only get a blank image.
Glad my thread was able to help :)

Can't believe that God just spoke to me. :O Your work is really amazing!

I thought it'd be nice to see the cars behind me when I drive, not just when I back up. Found this plug (linked below) at the local Kragen and it was easy enough to attach to the 2 cam fuses. The cam is on whenever the engine is on, and the separate monitor is on by demand.

http://www.grainger.com/1/1/182596-bell-39002-8-replacement-accessory-plug-5-amps.html

My next project is to tuck more wire under the panel. Currently the section along the green path that you traced is taped to the panel.

Last edited:
Hi. I had a look at the diagram on how to remove the plastic panel but i'm still not sure how to do it. Did you pry open the tabs with a flat edge screwdriver or is it hands only?

Trying to replace the license plate light with LEDs. I'd really appreciate your help.

Nevermind. Figured it out. At first I tried using a standard screwdriver to pry the plastic cover off the rear tailgate, but that didn't work well at all.

You won't believe what actually did work quite well though: the third row safety belts. Worked like a charm. XP

Latest posts

Back