How to prepare for a road trip that includes dirt raods in the desert?

petitevan

:
2017 Mazda CX-3 AWD Touring
I just came back from a trip to the Yosemite National Park and some small towns along highway 49. The 5 performed so well (even on steep winding roads) that I am planning my next road trip already. Bodie, a ghost town and a state park, is high on my list. After reading some articles online about the town, I am wondering if it would be safe for me to go in my 5, in the summer of course when neither snow nor mud would be present. Apparently the low ground clearance and 2WD may be causes for concern. For snow I can get snow chains, but how do I prepare for dry dirt?

Anyone has any experience with taking the 5 on this type of road condition? I didn't like to go on road trips at all until I got the 5. The worst case scenario, I figure, I can take the 5 as far as it is safe to go, and get alternate transportation to reach the park.

Some official information about the park.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509

Last edited:
Its all about a lack of ground clearance and 50 series tires. From the front air dam to the low side sills/ground effects, the 5 is a pavement only machine. Anytime I know I'm going somewhere with crappy/no roads, we always take my wife's Subaru Outback.

Graded roads won't have clearance issues, but the flying rocks can affect your paint, and the bone-jarring washboards I guess could possibly speed up the failure of shocks and struts. Keep your air pressure up to 32 psi min cold (check w/i 1st 1/2 mi of starting out in the morning) or 35 psi warm to help your sidewalls absorb rocks and keep your wheels from taking the injury.

thanks, i will do that and go slow. hopefully whatever injury the 5 will sustain in 3 miles is well worth it.

btw, you sound like a real decent person but your avatar is downright scary. >_<

Back