How To: Painting Interior Pieces

I did this.. very pleased with the result.

its on my car domain page in my Sig.. go lookie

Lil Freek said:
i have the pod of the handle dangling out.. i just can't get the handle to let go of the metal cable.
there's a little black tab that goes through the handle part, i can't get that thing to let go.. is it just a "pinch with pliers and it'll let go" thing?
The only image I have is this:
12-guts.jpg

Basicly I sliped my handle through the mountin hole, then dis-connected it.
But if you don't want to do that, there is a little white tab holding onto the rod, you twist this counter-clock wise (or towards the car) once it lets go, you pull the rod down out of the handle.

hmm.. well.. i think i understand what you mean. i'll try it again later.
but for now.. i'm done.
i've painted the hvac and the center console.. turned out pretty good.. not too glossy, but nice and crisp.. cost me CDN$30 for all the materials (3 cans of super high grade plastics spray paint)

i need to know how to take everything apart, its not hard to paint i ust need to know where the screws are

ZapWizard said:
Doh, I sware I cut-and-pasted it...
N2OInferno got the link though.

It's not that hard to take the stuff apart, it looks complicated because I did a detailed guide.
I have taken mine apart at least five times now.
One more time soon to start painting stuff.

(attn) Hey, just out of curiousity, would it be beneficial to maybe bake the painted parts in the oven (like around 250 F) for around 15 minutes or so? Would this make the paint adhere more or would it be a waste of time? And would there be a possibility of toxic fumes? (confused)

Last edited:
I guess if you really want to try, go ahead.. But if anything melts then you'll be forking over a bunch of cash to Mazda. Spray paint isn't meant to be baked.. That's why the instructions on the can don't say to bake it.

The only thing I would do differently if I had to do it all again is paint my door handles black.

Mine turned out great and I think I'm going to go for the black handles like N2OInferno suggested as I haven't done them yet. Thanks for the How-To!!!

N2OInferno said:
But if anything melts then you'll be forking over a bunch of cash to Mazda. Spray paint isn't meant to be baked.. That's why the instructions on the can don't say to bake it.

Then I guess I'll just make sure to do a good job to begin with and skip the entire baking idea. But how many coats of paint should I put on? And is it true that the more clear coats you put on the better it'll turn out?

Not really the better it'll turn out. more like.. the more protected it'll be from scratches and such.. the color got, I guess, a bit richer and of course glossier after the clear was applied, as well.

N2OInferno said:
Not really the better it'll turn out. more like.. the more protected it'll be from scratches and such.. the color got, I guess, a bit richer and of course glossier after the clear was applied, as well.

So how many coats would you say is enough? If you had it to do over again, would you put more coats on?

ALSO... has anyone heard of SEM paint? The other forums all rave about it for interior painting and say that it's the most durable and good-looking paint to use...

Last edited:
i wouldn't do it any more coats than i did. I think I used one base coat and two or three top coats.. i think three... check the initial write up..

i might put one extra coat of clear on it, but i still have no chipping or anything so it doesn't really need it.

this is really good trust me my friend did it to his galant and it looked like s*** fingerprints everywhere and smudge marks and he put it in so fast that the change in the changeholder made imprints of lincoln's head all over it looks TERRIBLE

MazdaSpeed05 said:
They helped alot, thanks! But may i suggest to add an extra look to your interior paint your rear view mirror yellow aswell.
Yeah, already thought of that. Will be doing mine to match the painted interior; once it's painted, of course! (lol2)

Back