How-To...Gauge Disassembly

folks, i need more help. i used this how to, and tryed to replace a burnt circuit board...
original board:
board.jpg

new board, perfectly fine...
board3.jpg

back together, going in...
cluster.jpg

and, the results, as soon as i turned my lights on...
board2.jpg

it is a squiggly line that goes between two contacts, you cannot see anything on the front of the circuit that it connects to, just on the back, it is fried in the same spot on both boards.

one question (confirmation):

can you actullay change the leds of the cluster?
example: P5 = red, want to make it blue...just change the leds?

Needles?-xelderx tutorial

Hey there, that explination of how to disassemble the gauges rocks man, i just need to know if there is a special way to take off the needles, as you had stated this showed how to do everything but take the needles off, if i pry them off and put them on my new gauges, will i potentially mess up my tuning of speeds on the road significantly, or am i making a big deal out of something simple?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks (bowdown)

Last edited:
hmmmmmmmmm

so then, what to do when switching to indiglo gauges? it all seems simple save for the needles..tweezers? im open to any possibilities

I've never tried to get just the needles off. I don't think it can be done, but I've said that before and been wrong. You might have to do a search for it.

much thanks

thanks a bunch for the advice, i'll try the slits in the gauges for laying it over the needles, or i may get crazy, but ill let ya know by next sat when it should all be over (spin)

kirbs343 said:
thanks a bunch for the advice, i'll try the slits in the gauges for laying it over the needles, or i may get crazy, but ill let ya know by next sat when it should all be over (spin)
that works tops and stuff

i slotted mine after i ****** am, and was lucky enought ot have xelderx send me some out... what a life saver... here in australia mazda buys back the wrecks off the wreckers... cunts.... which means when i want anythign for the car i have to mortgage my house, or buy it from the states.... by the way don't **** your car up.... its annoying

Its Done!!!

Hey all,

Just letting you know that i got the gauges today and installed them within an hour, the how to, as well as everyones advice/help was greatly appreciated--and as a side note, i tried getting the needles off with 2 spakle knives, and managed to get all but one of them off, so i just made a small slit on the temp gauge to slide the faceplate over it!!

Unfortunately i dont have a digital camera yet, but ill see what i can do for showin' a pic a.s.a.p!

i got my tach and speedo with out breakin them, but i broke my gas and temp

edit: i used one butterknife on the gas and temp so it broke, i used 2 on the speedo and tach... so they cam out ok..

So for the entire cluster disassembly you dont have to remove the needles, correct?

I have to get the computer system changed because I have to sell the car and I just got a new cluster since I broke two on the needles on the old one and now I have the problem that the car has 24,000 instead of my 111,000 original miles.

mygreenmazda said:
So for the entire cluster disassembly you dont have to remove the needles, correct?

I have to get the computer system changed because I have to sell the car and I just got a new cluster since I broke two on the needles on the old one and now I have the problem that the car has 24,000 instead of my 111,000 original miles.
Right. The only thing that the needles prevent you from taking completely apart are the actual gauge faces with the #'s on them. Those will remain as one peice with the needles on one side and the servo on the other. The circuit board can still be taken completely off and swapped into your new cluster to keep the correct odometer readings.

xelderx said:
Right. The only thing that the needles prevent you from taking completely apart are the actual gauge faces with the #'s on them. Those will remain as one peice with the needles on one side and the servo on the other. The circuit board can still be taken completely off and swapped into your new cluster to keep the correct odometer readings.

Thanks sooo much, just finished and it works.

Thanks to the guy who did the write up.

Back