How To: Ebay FMIC

that filter, is it the one from Autozone/Advance auto? It's like $20?

If so, how do you like it? I know its for a 3" pipe so did you need anyting extra to get it to stay on the 2.5" piping? My injen is 2.75" so i dont think I'd need anything.

I was thinking of using the plastic stock intake while I get an intake but it didn't fit in there so I went to autozone and get the filter and an elbow to make my custom intake and yes is for a 3" and my pipes are 2.5 so i cut a piece of the stock and hook it in the filter then i buy a reducer 3 to 2.5, if u see in the picture above the black plastic in there, is that one.

gotcha...I should be able to clamp the 3" down onto the 2.75" injen pipe....much cheaper filter than buying another K&N and you can use the K&N recharge kit.

Yeah, that's the filter I have. Came from O'Reilly, but Advance carries the same brand- "Spectre"

I was able to clamp it down on a 2.75" no problem.

^what are you looking for pipe and coupler wise. I'll take a look at what ive got leftover.

Just purchased an intercooler kit and piping off of ebay looking to have my own custom fmic setup soon. I looked through this thread there is so much info if you guys could please help me out, what have we found to be the best/easiest/cleanest way to route the pipes. If you could please just give your layout on here I would appreciate it. Also I want to just recirculate and run the stock bpv with my kit will there be issues with that? And if doing so is it still worth moving the MAF? Thanks guys I appreciate all your help.

Last edited:
to be able to run the stock BPV you will have to way overcomplicate your routing. If you're going this route, buy a BOV and relocate the MAF. Do it once and right the first time. A TurboXS Type H BOV will only run you $130

Just purchased an intercooler kit and piping off of ebay looking to have my own custom fmic setup soon. I looked through this thread there is so much info if you guys could please help me out, what have we found to be the best/easiest/cleanest way to route the pipes. If you could please just give your layout on here I would appreciate it. Also I want to just recirculate and run the stock bpv with my kit will there be issues with that? And if doing so is it still worth moving the MAF? Thanks guys I appreciate all your help.

Yea, there's a lot of info here, but it is in here. What kit did you buy? what size Intercooler & pipes.

Picked up an HKS SSQV 4 last week, going to order my ebay pipes and corksport core soon. Will post up pics when finished.

Does anyone have issues with couplers popping off on pipes that do not have beaded ends?

Damn except I don't have a welder lol. I'll try to look around for a shop that can bead the pipes.

Don't waste time and money. I have my whole cold pipe setup that has no beads on anodized black pipes and no slipping. Just do the clamps up nice and tight and you'll be fine.

Don't waste time and money. I have my whole cold pipe setup that has no beads on anodized black pipes and no slipping. Just do the clamps up nice and tight and you'll be fine.
X2. I myself just had the t clamps nice n tight and never had a issue on the mazdaspeed protege. I did post up the DIY bead roller before and I was going to do it as well but decided that it wasn't needed.

^ You need to run more boost....

I always use hair spray, spray inside the coupler, then put the pipe on. no issues @9psi.

Back