How to do a Hard Launch?

MaikuMS3

My car is all stock and once in awhile I like to go fast at start up. Any idea how to hard/fast launch at start? I heard I rev to 4000 RPM and let the front tires spin and from there i quickly do the shifting close to redline and floor the gas pedal. that right??

Last edited:
The car runs out of power at 5,500 or so. Taking it to red line just puts undue stress on the motor. Shift around 5K or so, according to C&D (I think it was).

Max torque is at 3,000 or so. Might work to plan your shifts so that an up-shift puts you right around that.

If you really want to tear the car up quickly, shift without lifting off the gas.

On a closed course under the supervision of professionals, I rev it to 3k then dump the clutch but don't fully depress the gas to keep wheelspin down a bit. Then I floor it in second and shift at 5.5k. Works for me. I love how this car chirps its tires when you shift to second and third. It's just THAT powerful, I love it.

On a closed course under the supervision of professionals, I rev it to 3k then dump the clutch but don't fully depress the gas to keep wheelspin down a bit. Then I floor it in second and shift at 5.5k. Works for me. I love how this car chirps its tires when you shift to second and third. It's just THAT powerful, I love it.

that doesnt work
I just step on the gas wait for 2step and slip the clutch or I do the same thing without 2step ....never dump the clutch its just pointless wheel spin.....

if i want to leave quickly, i just work through first and second as smoothly as i can, with little wheel spin as the surface will allow.... fist and second are gone in a flash, shifting at about 4500-5000... quickly, quickly.... then into third and FLOOR IT. that's when things start moving in this car, IMO....

i lift when i shift... no need to tear it up or anything. after all, we have nothing to prove. :)

Last edited:
Try experimenting. Set it at 2500 at first and side step out of it to get the least amount of bog and spin. Just keep raising it up until you find your sweet spot. Shift at between 5500 and 6000. You will feel the car not gaining any more right before 6000, so you should know when your car runs out of steam.

My car is all stock and once in awhile I like to go fast at start up. Any idea how to hard/fast launch at start? I heard I rev to 4000 RPM and let the front tires spin and from there i quickly do the shifting close to redline and floor the gas pedal. that right??

OK here is what you do.

Put car in second gear-Check
Push gas pedal to floor and count to 3-check
Dump the clutch-Check

This will provide huge wheel spin because the huge amount of torgue these cars have will just blaze away the rubber if thats what you want.

Me I just try to prevent it due to the fact it is about one of the worst things to do on a front wheel drive car.

If you want to do the things described above carry around a box in the trunk. It will make it easier to pick up your tranny and drive shaft parts when they are laying all over the road.(fu)

OK here is what you do.

Put car in second gear-Check
Push gas pedal to floor and count to 3-check
Dump the clutch-Check

This will provide huge wheel spin because the huge amount of torgue these cars have will just blaze away the rubber if thats what you want.

Me I just try to prevent it due to the fact it is about one of the worst things to do on a front wheel drive car.

If you want to do the things described above carry around a box in the trunk. It will make it easier to pick up your tranny and drive shaft parts when they are laying all over the road.(fu)

would putting it in second and revin up to like 4k and feather out the clutch work for a fast off the line launch because i hate the shift from 1st to 2nd gear in this car

any advise on launching

i just raced my buddie in his tibron gt v6 with intk/exst and figured i was gonna wreak him but after two races he got me off the line bad both times but i sill managed to catch up and pass him in 3rd and 4th but he thinks his car is faster. any tips on how to get a good launch because i suck at it, this was however my first attempt at it so a rematch is in store and is there a way i could start in 2nd being 1st is so short?

well make sure dsc is off for sure. keep tapping the throttle to hover around 3000 rpm and slip out the clutch but the most important thing with our cars is to make sure to shift just under 6000 rpm because that will save you from massive boost cuts

would putting it in second and revin up to like 4k and feather out the clutch work for a fast off the line launch because i hate the shift from 1st to 2nd gear in this car
t

Oh sure that would work just make sure you have a new clutch ready for install after doing that a bunch of times. Try it out and get back to us on a full report and also tell us how it smells.(fuoops)

Rev from the stop to 2k, once green slip the clutch to about 2.8k you should be off the clutch completly and already pass him :p Its worked with camaros and mustangs, should have no problem with a tibby

Back