how to break in cars

I agree with JimboNC and have used his method on my last 4 cars. My cars are sold with 125,000 to 164,000 miles running well and without oil consumption issues. Never had a valve cover off except to replace a leaking valve cover gasket. Drive normally for the first 1500 miles with several short heavy throttle runs of 5-10 seconds (not over 3500 rpm or so). Drive easy untill the temp is full up. No cruise control or long warm ups by idleing. My first oil & filter changes have been at ~2500 miles and 6,000 miles thereafter. I do a UOA (Blackstone Labs) at ~ 10,000 miles to check how everthing is doing. Mobil 1 synthetic in factory recomended viscosity and OEM or PureOne oil filters.

Last edited:
koala said:

This method worked great for me in my '04 S2000. At a local dyno day, my car put down 225 WHP stock, where-as the couple of other s2000's attending were at 195 to 205 WHP, both on the "by the book" break-in method.

Did you break in your CX-7 this way also?

Ironic that Mazda tells the dealers to rev the engine for several minutes before delivery to prevent fouling of the new plugs from drivers who may take short trips after purchase and soon find the car isn't running just right.

Yea rite, when someone wants to "try" ur new car, you know what they do. I'm not any different, when I test someones brand new car, thats alot of flooring or clutch drops.

I submit the following: If you want to keep your vehicle for 125,000 + miles, running great, without oil consumption issues then don't do the following. consistently WOT starts to the redline, spend hours of idleing, cruise the highway for hours using the cruise control or in short beat-the-bleep-out-of it.

The engines are broke in at the factory now days. The reasoning behind taking it easy for the first 600 miles is to allow break in of the other components. The transmission, suspension, and brakes all need to be broken in by avoiding high speed driving and braking, not holding one speed for an extended time and avoiding putting alot of torque on the transmission.

Potentially wrong info. New engines are not "tight" and do not need time to "loosen up".

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

If that was true, cars would not get slightly better gas mileage after a few months old. Look at Car & Driver's long term car tests. The tested cars almost always get better gas mileage after being broken in. Breaking a car in allows the moving parts to seat to each other for a "custom" fit.

Breakin

I've broken in several motors including several rotaries in my 74 rx4 and the one way that seems to work best is to drive the first time for a long time. Preferably in the summer when it's hot out. And vary speed and or load frequently. The long time at operating temp seals everything in good. Especially head gaskets.

I do not beat a new vehicle on a test drive and I have never seen anyone else do it. If a test drive results in a WOT Juvenal or an adult acting like one, it is a car I don't want, period.

Back