How to add TPMS feature?

cpedia

:
CX-5
I got my CX-5 in China. This car was imported from Japan, it's Grand touring AWD version, but without TPMS installed.

Does anyone know how to add or enable this feature? As I know CX-5 uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to detect a different rotational speed on the low tire to alert the TPMS, so do I have to install any additional parts or just enable this feature by adding the switch button?

Thanks in advance!

Do you even have the tmps button on the dash?

Im not sure this is possible or worth it...honestly id rather not have them...one less thing to break.

Do you even have the tmps button on the dash?

Im not sure this is possible or worth it...honestly id rather not have them...one less thing to break.

No kidding. It is already annoying me. It is just another useless dummy light. Tire pressure should be checked every or every other fill up anyway.

The only time I could see it being useful is if the tire is rapidly losing pressure, and you are driving down the freeway, or what have you.

No kidding. It is already annoying me. It is just another useless dummy light. Tire pressure should be checked every or every other fill up anyway.

The only time I could see it being useful is if the tire is rapidly losing pressure, and you are driving down the freeway, or what have you.

+1 I hate it, i honestly wished my 3 didn't have it. Sensor is sensitive and expensive if broken. Rather have plain ol rubber stems.

I believe that you (we) do have "plain ol rubber stems". The TPMS on this car is indirect based on the fact that it can't tell you actual pressure or specific tire info, and that you have to use a reset button. Also the reason people don't like this type of TPMS as much as the direct flavor.

From Wikipedia:
iTPMS cannot measure or display absolute pressure values, they are relative by nature and have to be reset by the driver once the tires are checked and all pressures adjusted correctly. The reset is normally done either by a physical button or in a menu of the on-board computer. iTPMS are, compared to dTPMS, more sensitive to the influences of different tires and external influences like road surfaces and driving speed or style.

I believe that you (we) do have "plain ol rubber stems". The TPMS on this car is indirect based on the fact that it can't tell you actual pressure or specific tire info, and that you have to use a reset button. Also the reason people don't like this type of TPMS as much as the direct flavor.

True, it runs off the ABS sensors to tell if any wheel is regularly turning more times than the others since that would mean the diameter of that wheel has shrunk as it loses pressure.

The plus is less complex things to break. Nothing that needs reprogrammed when tires are rotated. No problems changing to aftermarket wheels.

The downside I found on my way to work one morning. I was at the point where several freeways meet up and it gets crazy busy when all of a sudden the warning went off telling me there was a problem with the air pressure in a tire. I didn't feel anything odd in the way the car was handling but I only had a few seconds to decide if I wanted to stay on the freeway or get off before there wouldn't be any good areas to pull off/stop. There was no way to tell if the warning meant a tire was rapidly deflating after just taking a nail or if one was just a bit low and would be fine or if it just 'thought' one was low.

Do you keep driving hoping it is just a slightly low problem and risk a $300 tire and a who-know-how-much rim trying to find a place to pull off later or pull off now and check all 4? With no warning system at all you'd keep driving until something felt wrong but with some warning you'd risk going "stupid! stupid! stupid! Why didn't I stop when I could?"

Latest posts

Back