How To: 2.0 Header Installation

i dunno what you guys ran into but that ring on the flex pipe has some bad s*** in it.. i was itching for ages after doing this...

also to avoid removing the fan you can take the header up from the bottom. the trick is to remove the black plastic from unerneath, lie it along the length of the car, and pull her up by twisting...

ahb11m said:
i dunno what you guys ran into but that ring on the flex pipe has some bad s*** in it.. i was itching for ages after doing this...

also to avoid removing the fan you can take the header up from the bottom. the trick is to remove the black plastic from unerneath, lie it along the length of the car, and pull her up by twisting...

LOL you were itching eh...I wonder if that stuff had bad reaction on your skin

J dragon said:
LOL you were itching eh...I wonder if that stuff had bad reaction on your skin
it was a red rash kinda thing.... went away after like 15 minutes... but freaked me out big time... coz i used a flat head screw driver to try pry it out i think some of the fibres must have got airborne

Note to self: never install header with horrible sunburn on back. It's quite painful.

now back to getting the three stuck/stripping bolts off, I have no clue how I'm going to get those off. I wish I had more tools.

EDIT: The bolts that are stuck are one of the spring loaded ones (was the bolt supposed to come out or just a nut :p ) and the ones on that bracket near the spring loaded ones that mounts the first cat to the block.

salt covered roads sound liek tha blame on that one...

anywho you have tried WD-40 or liquid wrench??

if not them try vice grips to hold the nut then tap it round with an engineers hammer

Laser03pro said:
Sounds like you need a impact wrench.

Yeah I used my friend's electric one when I did my underdrive pulley, but he only has u.s. impact sockets for it.

I'm having someone come up with some PB blaster and some tools so hopefully I can get this off.

My car had one winter on Cape Cod, and a winter in Rochester, NY. Salt hell.

only the bolts come out....the nuts are tac-welded on, but the bolts are a b**** to get off. I had only hand tools and nearly broke my nad doin it. Soak the fuckas with liquid wrench and make sure you use an 8 point socket so that you dont strip the bolts...i learned the hard way and made an emergency stop at my local hardware store

mine came off really easy... but the top bolts were a b****... just use brute force and ignorance... try kicking it?

P5 Rally said:
only the bolts come out....the nuts are tac-welded on, but the bolts are a b**** to get off. I had only hand tools and nearly broke my nad doin it. Soak the fuckas with liquid wrench and make sure you use an 8 point socket so that you dont strip the bolts...i learned the hard way and made an emergency stop at my local hardware store

Yeah I had stupid 12 point sockets, ugh. I broke the weld on one of the bolts. It sucks because the bolt was coming out a bit before it got stuck and the weld broke, now my headers are installed but Im pretty sure the bolt isn't all the way back in. I had to buy a new bolt for the other side because the thread on it stripped.

Has anyone else experienced their exhaust being misaligned after installing headers? The tip on my Mazdaspeed Axleback used to line up perfectly with the cutout in the bumper, now it's off to the right too much.

zverg said:
Yeah I had stupid 12 point sockets, ugh. I broke the weld on one of the bolts. It sucks because the bolt was coming out a bit before it got stuck and the weld broke, now my headers are installed but Im pretty sure the bolt isn't all the way back in. I had to buy a new bolt for the other side because the thread on it stripped.

Has anyone else experienced their exhaust being misaligned after installing headers? The tip on my Mazdaspeed Axleback used to line up perfectly with the cutout in the bumper, now it's off to the right too much.

yes it will be 'off' alignment. you will need kartboy exhaust hangers to stop your muffler from 'wagging' all over when you start from a stop.

dosle said:
yes it will be 'off' alignment. you will need kartboy exhaust hangers to stop your muffler from 'wagging' all over when you start from a stop.

The MS exhaust comes out about 1" after driving, but after the car cools down, the exhaust goes back... What's going on???

Just installed mine, Don't know if my stock exhaust is out of line. I'll check that out in a little bit, just exhausted after doing that. A lot of thanks to illwill for helping me install it.

Just installed the kartboy exhaust hangers. The exhaust still slides left and right a lot, but maybe it's just because there'd WD40 all over the place. I can get it to stay centered now, that's a plus.

i only wanted them to stop the sagging with my exhaust....

anyway best thing you can do with those is to get some tiny hose clamps and do them up around the rear hanger... fixes the lot

Recently, I've noticed a sound coming from underneath my car sounding as if something is rattling when I turn on the car, any ideas? I'm thinking the 2 bolts connecting to the exhaust pipe is not tight enough.

Mine rattles also first when I start it and my exhaust is stock. I been meaning to jack it up and have someone start it while I was listening.

Back