How the Internet works - Tubes!

To the people that didn't understand the article:

There's a bill that was supposed to keep everyone's Internet traffic the same speed no matter who's content it was. That bill was deadlocked and will more than likely get shot down, so now, for example, your ISP could get money from Yahoo.com to block Google.com when you sign on to the Internet.

******* weak.

A better example:

Everyone pays the same for water in the city, but suddenly car washes have to pay more because they make a profit from the water. Or pizza delivery people have to pay more for gas because they drive their car and make money that way.

pluto316 said:
Everyone pays the same for water in the city, but suddenly car washes have to pay more because they make a profit from the water.

Actually to refine this, only certain carwashes would have to pay more because others have "partnered" with the city.

I went back and read that transcript and that guy's a buffoon. He's constantly contradicting himself. Let me play the devil's advocate and give you another perspective.

Let's say your company has done particularly well, and it wants to give a nice perk to its employees. It decides to pay a premium to Disney World and contract with them to let the employees have exclusive use of certain rides at certain times of the day. But, in steps the government, and it tells Disney World, a private company, no, no, no... you must give equal access to all customers. It doesn't matter that this one company paid more to give its employees exclusive access.

This is what net neutrality basically does, tells private companies how to allocate its bandwidth. Not exactly kosher in a freemarket economy, the solution-have the government take over the internet. So, beware what you wish for!

thewrench said:
I went back and read that transcript and that guy's a buffoon. He's constantly contradicting himself. Let me play the devil's advocate and give you another perspective.

Let's say your company has done particularly well, and it wants to give a nice perk to its employees. It decides to pay a premium to Disney World and contract with them to let the employees have exclusive use of certain rides at certain times of the day. But, in steps the government, and it tells Disney World, a private company, no, no, no... you must give equal access to all customers. It doesn't matter that this one company paid more to give its employees exclusive access.

This is what net neutrality basically does, tells private companies how to allocate its bandwidth. Not exactly kosher in a freemarket economy, the solution-have the government take over the internet. So, beware what you wish for!

Disney does that, it's called the Fast Pass. That's fine it's a theme park. The Internet is not a theme park, I'd think to think it's a whole hell of a lot more important.

pluto316 said:
Disney does that, it's called the Fast Pass. That's fine it's a theme park. The Internet is not a theme park, I'd think to think it's a whole hell of a lot more important.

Fast passes are free and first come first serve. There is no bias there.

And yea, that guy's an idiot. His description of the internet reminds me of those air chutes they use in home depot to send documents. How stupid.

Last edited:
Back