How successful will the 5 be?

starlightmica said:
After learning more about the Mazda5, I'm rather disappointed in the details. No DSC for the US market initially, and relatively poor fuel economy as a result of tall gearing to move those 3333lbs at a zoom-zoom pace.

More info at: mazda5club.com

Thats what I am afraid of - the MPG outa that thing. It really sucks that there is just a 4sp Auto, thats gonna suck - literally!

rookie said:
Thats what I am afraid of - the MPG outa that thing. It really sucks that there is just a 4sp Auto, thats gonna suck - literally!

I've thought seriously about this car lately, Mazda5. To me, this car will have to be fully loaded (i.e. DVD player, and MP3). My guess is that it will reach in the $23k. The problem is that for that kind of money, it reaches the territories of the upcoming A3 and the Prius with some extra options. Both competitors (i.e. A3 and Prius) are much different cars, but the most important part is HID. Yes!!! The Mazda5 may be great with 6 seats, but quite frankly, the car is a 4 seats + 2 little seats (I think). That's hard to swallow without the 6+1 configuration in NA, without HID, and without power slider doors!

Hence, if Mazda brings the Mazda5 as it is anticipated right now, I don't see much people buying it in the States. (attn)

psychoart said:
The Mazda5 may be great with 6 seats, but quite frankly, the car is a 4 seats + 2 little seats (I think). (attn)

The key for me is that the four seats will accomodate four adults comfortably -- if you slide the middle seats back (making the third row cargo space). I have two teenage children and right now our biggest car is a PT Cruiser. The back seat of the PT just doesn't cut it on long trips.

Let's just take a baby seat, for example, and place it in the Mazda5. Where would it go? Certainly not in the front seat. The third row seat, I believe, will not fit the baby seat either. Hence, the best convenient place will be the second row seat where an adult can sit next to the baby. That makes the Mazda5 only 2 seats left for adult passenger, and 1 for the driver. That's almost pointless. A regular 5 seat car can provide 3 seat for adults with a baby seat in the back. The regular 6 configuration is almost pointless if you have to carry some friends on some very rare and cherishable occasion!

The 6+1 would have make more sense, but it's not coming. And without option such as HID and/or power slide doors, this car won't sell as much as anticipated. A regular 5 seat such as Prius or A3 will be a better deal, or bigger family will make more sense. One is a Toyota with Hybrid technology that can save you gas while having the most minimum required features nowadays (e.g. HID, tire pressure monitoring system, good sound system,...) and be reliable. The other one is an Audi that is just a flashy, trendy, and sporty car.

To really attract some interested buyers, some options must be available to steal some sale from other makers. (group)

Furthermore, if the Mazda5 doesn't have HID as option, Mazda is only telling their customers that if they want HID go buy a Mazda3. Hence, that's why I have refered previously that the Prius and the A3 are a Mazda5 alternative since the 6 seat just don't cut it by itself with manual sliding doors. (chair)

Last edited:
Back