How safe 2016 CX5 against theft?

:
CX5 '21 GTR
Hi, moved to NYC, service is due, wondering whether standard 2016 CX5 immobilizer is a good enough protection for this kind of area, or I should consider something more than that? Would the dealer be of any use?

Dealer would sell you oem wheel locks and that's about it. If security is of concern I would visit a reputable car alarm shop. Perhaps a decal that reads "NYPD Bait car" would detract some thieves lol.

Best immobilizer is the available 6-speed manual transmission. It really narrows the potential audience of thieves that could actually drive it away. Every few weeks I read a story where a frustrated thief or carjacker abandons the prey.

Best immobilizer is the available 6-speed manual transmission. It really narrows the potential audience of thieves that could actually drive it away. Every few weeks I read a story where a frustrated thief or carjacker abandons the prey.

Now that's what I call "Save the Manuals" approved.

cx-5 come with engine immobilizer which you shouldn't worry about your car gone missing. What usually will happen is they broke your windows and steal your items or wheel and tires. This car won't alram even when someone break your window, but it will not start without key. Wheel lock is all you can do, add a lock to your sterling wheel.

Especially in NYC, no car, no matter how technologically advanced(could be a base Nissan Sentra or $200,000 Mercedes S Class), no car is safe from the new generation of thieves. They will wait for the target to park, and they're a close distance away(less than 100 feet) in a car, or maybe sitting in an outside cafe, etc., they have a device that, when you lock the car, it will learn those wavelengths that the remote key fob sends to the car, and saves that data. The thief can then unlock the doors once you have completely left the car, and their device can act as a new key, so there will be no mess of having to break windows or anything, it's literally like they have a key fob to everyones car. Now, the technology is currently not there so they can start it, they only have the option of unlocking and locking your car, since it takes different wavelenghts to start the car.

So, the thieves are generally pretty "nice" about their targeted vehicles, they will be clean, not damage your car, but of course they're still crooks so they will take your stuff inside. You'll be 100% safe if you keep absolutely nothing of value, so take in your phone, wallet, camera, etc. It's basic knowledge.

About the thieves starting you car and not just unlocking it, some are able to do it, but it takes a laptop with a internet connection, an expensive cord to plug into your car, and lots of software, and not to mention another device, so that the computer can program a new key, so they can actually start the car.

This stuff is out there, and is becoming increasingly common. I watched a small film on it and found it quite interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrlhlQiFzM

Not really, they just throw it in neutral and push. Of course, I used to live 8 miles from Mexico, so I know that NOTHING is theftproof.

Especially in NYC, no car, no matter how technologically advanced(could be a base Nissan Sentra or $200,000 Mercedes S Class), no car is safe from the new generation of thieves. They will wait for the target to park, and they're a close distance away(less than 100 feet) in a car, or maybe sitting in an outside cafe, etc., they have a device that, when you lock the car, it will learn those wavelengths that the remote key fob sends to the car, and saves that data. The thief can then unlock the doors once you have completely left the car, and their device can act as a new key, so there will be no mess of having to break windows or anything, it's literally like they have a key fob to everyones car. Now, the technology is currently not there so they can start it, they only have the option of unlocking and locking your car, since it takes different wavelenghts to start the car.

So, the thieves are generally pretty "nice" about their targeted vehicles, they will be clean, not damage your car, but of course they're still crooks so they will take your stuff inside. You'll be 100% safe if you keep absolutely nothing of value, so take in your phone, wallet, camera, etc. It's basic knowledge.

About the thieves starting you car and not just unlocking it, some are able to do it, but it takes a laptop with a internet connection, an expensive cord to plug into your car, and lots of software, and not to mention another device, so that the computer can program a new key, so they can actually start the car.

This stuff is out there, and is becoming increasingly common. I watched a small film on it and found it quite interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrlhlQiFzM
I lock my car when I leave by pressing the button on the inside drivers door. I don't use the remote feature. I open the door by pushing the button on the outside of the door handle. Can the thieves still get the code to unlock the door just by me pushing the outside door button? Or by opening the tailgate?

I lock my car when I leave by pressing the button on the inside drivers door. I don't use the remote feature. I open the door by pushing the button on the outside of the door handle. Can the thieves still get the code to unlock the door just by me pushing the outside door button? Or by opening the tailgate?

Too bad you can't activate the alarm using the manual key. That said one potential solution is to hard wire some an alarm button (as opposed to using RF or wireless) communication.

Last edited:

The door lock request function can be less secure than the old remote style. This is because it is possible to amplify the signal when the button is pushed. If the fob is located within a few hundred feet (and not shielded), the amplifier device will send it to the car, which then unlocks. The old style of remote meant you needed the fob, or, more complex, a device that stored and forwarded rolling codes.

Interesting product here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

So supposedly some car manufacturer use keys that are actively rolling codes. You literally have to keep you keys in a fridge or microwave to protect from savvy hackers. This pouch is effective and although I don't live/work/shop in high risk car areas its something to consider.

The drawback with this product though is you need to take it out of the pouch to open up the car and even start the car. A lady said she had the key in her car (inside of the pouch) and her car gave her a "key not in range" message. So its effectiveness is good. But what about engaging the alarm/locks when you leave? ....................Ah the perfect solution. Purchase a RFID pouch for your key and an RFID car cover. Take that hackers LOL.

I think a low tech but somewhat inconvenient solution would be a second transmitter (Fob) and receiver That has a simple on off function. (Available on ebay for $10) wired to a relay ($25) that disconnects the battery.

Get out of the car, Lock it, hit the disconnect fob. It only works because it is not expected. Your car is dead and the thief doesn't know why. Move on to the next one.

Note, I havent tried this. I don't know how upset a CX-5 gets at loosing all power. You might need to only open the circuits (at the fuse panel) that run the locks and ignition.

On my Miata I routed the power to the starter solenoid through a manual on off switch that I could reach in the top of the glove box. I just switched it off whenever I parked it other than my garage. This was a one wire interrupt that that would make it look like the battery would not turn the motor over.

Back