How much is too much?

122 Vega

Retired MSP Racer!
:
03 Mazdaspeed Protege #1668,2005 Mini Cooper S, 75 Cosworth Vega
Think the MSP can handle 38 autocross days in on season?

Britt

The real question is.."Do YOU think it can handle it?"
After all ....its your car ..and you do a lot of autocrossing already do you not?

No, I've only autocrossed about 8 times in the last few years.

I spend a lot of time preparring for it and talking about it...

Any car should be able to take that kind of beating, but you better be prepared budget wise for part failures. End links and sway bushings come to mind as items that will likely wear out. Azenis might not last through that many events either, depending on length of runs and how many runs you get per event.

Moxnix and I did 40-50 events in one season, but that was divided by at least 3 cars, mostly the Miata in ES prep. It was fun, but tiring. That is 19 weekends, assuming you are doing Sat./Sun. events and 4 weekends per month, that's 5 solid months of nothing but autox every weekend. We burned out a bit on that and have kept it around 15 events per year since then.

38 days in ONE season?!?!?!? Dayum! In the 4 years that I've autoxed, I've only done about 50 days.

I think you're nuts. The car should be fine. You, on the other hand, might need a check up!

Have lots of Azenis and Potenza RE01Rs on hand :D

I think the car would be fine, as it usually only breaks when I'm involved with it (like working on it).

Well I have a spare motor, spare trans, drive shafts... so those are covered. Three sets of tires right now, so should be okay for now on those too.

Can I keep it up? I used to autocross and run track days nearly every week years ago, but then put it all on hold for college, kids etc. Basically I'm trying to get about five years of seat time in one year...

Sounds like fun I think!

BRitt

I think it will be fine. Just keep an eye on your oil level and make sure you are keeping up with general maint on the car.

That's funny since I lost a drainplug at the Nat Tour in Packwood and lost 4 qts in the shutdown area!

DO IT MAN!!! haha sucks i dont live down the street from you anymore, dunno if i ever told you that lol I use to see your car everytime it was outside sitting on the trailer

YEah, I don't live there anymore anyways, gave her the house in the divorce, but I'm there a lot still. I live over off C. Pass road now. Did see a Spicy the other day with a spare donut on it. Was that you?

Britt

STX form, i think it could :) Let's test out DSP form? Does your car ping sometimes with stock boost? Also, are you coming down for the tour or divisionals?

Last edited:
I'm planning on both, but we'll see.

Thats alot of Auto crossing. Im sure the MSP can handle it. But like others said, CAN YOU?! Good luck man, I have a feeling you are going to get tired of it, LOL

Back