How Much Ford Really Owns Mazda

... which gives effective controlling interest over the company in Japan (according to Japanese law).

I don't see this mattering much...

... which gives effective controlling interest over the company in Japan (according to Japanese law).

...If Ford continues to leave Mazda engineering alone. I personally think the relationship has done much more good than harm to Mazda. Ford helped them create a great marleting campaign with "Zoom-Zoom" and infused cash and better parts pricing.

Compared to GM's castration of Saab, Ford should be commended for their calculated approach with Mazda. Mazda is much healthier and creative becasue of it.

...If Ford continues to leave Mazda engineering alone. I personally think the relationship has done much more good than harm to Mazda. Ford helped them create a great marleting campaign with "Zoom-Zoom" and infused cash and better parts pricing.

Compared to GM's castration of Saab, Ford should be commended for their calculated approach with Mazda. Mazda is much healthier and creative becasue of it.

Ford has also benefitted from Mazda engineering. All of Ford's new designs are Mazda based - Fusion, Milan, MKZ, Edge, MKX - all based off of Mazda. I acutally really like the Fusion and the Edge, and supposedly they are both real hot sellers for Ford. I say keep up the good work - for both companies.

Very Good Point

Ford has also benefitted from Mazda engineering. All of Ford's new designs are Mazda based - Fusion, Milan, MKZ, Edge, MKX - all based off of Mazda. I acutally really like the Fusion and the Edge, and supposedly they are both real hot sellers for Ford. I say keep up the good work - for both companies.

+1

wow i learned something today that i didnt know, i knew that mazda was owned by ford but not only by 34%. so technically, mazda is still one of its own companies

wow i learned something today that i didnt know, i knew that mazda was owned by ford but not only by 34%. so technically, mazda is still one of its own companies

No, by Japanese law they are completely owned by Ford.
IN the US a controling share of a campany is 51% I believe.
In Japan a publicly traded company is owned by anyone with more then a 33% share.

Here are the exact #s if anyone cares.Ford owns 33.4% and the law in japan says that if anyone owns more than 33.3 they have control.I just read it in my Ford World paper about a month ago.

Back