how much difference does weight ACTUALLY make

TXMazdaSpeeder

T is for Turbo
:
2003 Black Mica MSP #566
ok so lets see

i have a 6" lcd screen molded into the dash (lets say 15 lbs for the whole unit)
cd head unit say wieighs about 25 lbs?
subs weight about 25 each
sub ecnlosure weighs just under 80 pounds including the amp rack
amp weighs about 20 lbs
wiring weighs maybe 10 lbs (12 feet of 4 gauge, 4 feet of 8 gauge)
distribution block maybe 5 lbs
power inverter maybe 30 lbs (its pretty stout)
ps2 weighs maybe 10 lbs

so lets see, strip the trunk, go back to JUST the head unit and 4 speakers, i'd be saving oh say 220 lbs, what are we talking as far as 1/4 mile times based on weight savings?

hahah, that is some heavy s*** dude...I don't know exactly what it would be without breaking out the calculator, and knowing the exact before and after weights of your car...But it would definately be significant...I am guessing roughly .3 or so on your 1/4 mile time off the top of my head...could be less, could be more...but around that I would say...

May not seem like much...but if you are used to your car with that stuff in it, you will definately be suprised when you stand on it without it...

I agree, alot of the weights you claimed were way too high. However I would think your subs would actually weigh more than you said, those magnets can be very heavy.

KpaBap said:
you're smoking crack, my 19 inch LCD monitor doesn't even weigh 15 lbs

ur 19" lcd monitor isnt fiberglassed and molded into the dash, body filler isnt to terribly light

btw why i said the head unit weighs 25 lbs and that the subs weigh the same is beyond me, the head unit prolly doesnt weigh 10 lbs, the subs are prolly heavier than that

ok found a sheet of paper from last summer when i weighed it at the track

stock racing hart wheels and cooper avenger zhp's in 215/45/17 = 54lbs each
trunk stripped
head unit/4 speakers/amp wiring
full interior
1/2 tank gas
no driver

2630lbs

ok now lets look at the wheels then and now and when my new set goes on

RH MP3's 215/45/17 = 54lbs, i've been told the RH's weigh ~24 lbs so lets say thats 30 lbs of tire (seems a bit heavy so the rh's prolly weigh a little more than that)
18" kosei's 215/35/18 = 43lbs, rim weighs 18 lbs by itself, forgot to weigh the tire by itself but math says ~25 lbs
17" rota sub zeros 215/45/17 = 19 lbs rims, 30 lbs tires = 49 lbs

so losing 20 lbs in just wheels put me down to 2610lbs with half a tank and no driver or system. im losing my wing this weekend so without me in it that'll put me right under the 2600lbs mark.

you're better off going for slightly heavier smaller wheels than lighter bigger wheels. yes the bigger wheels are lighter, but the weight rotating around is further away from the centre of the wheel...and the outside of the wheel is where all of the weight is

54 lbs per tire+wheel.... OUCH you should do something about that, unsprung weight is your enemy

and here I thought my 28lbs per corner was a lot :(

ZoomThis said:
My AVIC-N1 (LCD, DVD, Navigation Head Unit) weights maybe 7lbs. 25..WOW!!! What you got?

boss audio btv6.0 molded into the radio surround
sony cdc-mp70 head unit

KpaBap said:
54 lbs per tire+wheel.... OUCH you should do something about that, unsprung weight is your enemy

and here I thought my 28lbs per corner was a lot :(

Unsprung weight, yes. Also need to consider reciprocating mass (while in motion...).

D

I have found, very consistantly, that every 50lbs has netted me .1 seconds down the 1/4. When I dropped 150lbs, it took off .3 seconds. Stock, I ran a 16.3@84, and after dropping 250lbs and gaining 14whp, that dropped to 15.48@88. But I have the advantage of being a light car to begin with, and smaller changes in weight and power have larger effects on performance.

And when I had my 205/40/17s, I ran a 16.8 compared to 16.3 with the 185/60/14s. What does that tell you about how important smaller lighter wheels are? The weight reduction and lowering of the gear ratio with a smaller wheel far outdo the extra traction I got from my 205 Kumho Supra 712s.

Good points...although I am not too sure that many people by 17's and wider than stock tires just for the strip...Cornering with a grippy low profile 205 compared to a 185 would be like night and day...

true but also cornering with 28lbs wheel+tire (185) vs 56lbs wheel+tire (205) I bet the 185 would still have the edge just because it would allow the suspension to do its job a lot easier

i guess you changed your mine AGAIN about buying a new car? what happened to the car you were supposed to buy?

Wider tires and lighter wheels are the way to go......benifit from both. That is the choice I have taken with my rims and wheel selection.

For most cars 100lbs=.1 second. The less power the car has the more of a difference it makes. For example the 50lbs on Gen1GT's car netting him .1 second.

Back