How Many Miles Are On Your 2 (???)

I'm seriously considering a Mazda 2 and wanted to know more about the reliability... for all current owners, please state the year of your 2, how many miles you have on it now, and what problems you've encountered. Please. Thank you. :)

I have a 2012 with just over 14k miles. The only issue I've had is a very slight clunking sound/feeling in the steering column when I turn at low speeds. There's a thread on this elsewhere. Some folks have said they were able to fix it by just lubing joints and tightening bolts. I'm going to give that a shot this weekend.

I have a 2011 with 14k. As stated above I also have the thunking noise. But I've never had any problems with the car. If you search on NHTSA this car is doing very well compared to other 2011-2012 models. Where most cars have 1-3 recalls and 15+ complaints, the 2 only had a few complaints and no recalls (unless you count the fuel pump issue but if you don't drive on empty it's not a problem)

2011 with just a hair under 24k(miles), I've had a few issues (PCM blew, fuel pump also blew, & needed a new battery, all under 15k km) but it seems as though my car is a lemon. Aside from those issues, I haven't run into anything major. I've also had the whole creak/thunk issue, but I temporarily solved that by tightening bolts and lubing joints. I've done a few long drives (500+ miles) without issue.

I have a 2012, got it in may of last year and I'm at 38.7k miles at the moment. I have not had a single issue with the car, it's withstood autocross, the florida heat, long road trips, constant city driving, this thing has pretty much done it all and I have not ran into anything with the car. It does go through regular maintenance and, as you can see from my sig, it is always getting new stuff but everything that I have replaced has been for performance not maintenance.

Just rolled past 30k on our blue 2011, and I'm almost to 2k (LOL) on our white 2013. Both have treated us very well.

I tend to remember there being a reliability thread out there somewhere with more information.

I have 44,500 on mine. It is a 2011. I beat the heck out of it basically all of the time and the only thing I can think of is one of the wire clips under the dash is rattling slightly. I haven't had the time to try to see which one, but it isn't bad or anything I just notice it from time to time.

2012, ~17k miles. Had some CD's rattling against each other in the armrest storage, and mine seems particular about which gas pumps can fill up the tank 100% full. That's it.

2011, Sport. 58,200 miles. Brittle windshield (cracked within a week or two of owning it), fuel pump died, and now having steering clunk issue. Occasional, odd electrical locking issues - needs multiple (4 or 5) pushes of key fob button to unlock non-driver doors/hatch, driver door randomly locks when other doors do not (happened two times), occasional flashing of air bag light (loose connection below driver's seat seems to be the culprit).

69,594 miles. Only very minor issues... some early on... then none for years... and now some really minor stuff. Early on: Squeaky rear shocks, radio wouldn't work when it was sub 30 degrees. Both fixed under warranty (and there were TSB's for both). More recently: I'm having issue with the driver-side seat belt. The female side. I've lost that effortless click. It's become notchy and can take a few tries to get it to stay in. Also, the driver seat itself has started to feel loose. I haven't been able to track down where it is loose, but it moves in a hard corner. I'm 175 and weighed 190 at my heaviest while owning this car, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Regardless, I've never been happier with the reliability of a car than I am with the 2.

2011 Sport with 15K on it... No problems yet that I didn't cause myself.. (didn't click in a connection on the radio tight enough when I installed my factory add-on blue tooth)

I guess I should add that there are 3 track days and 2 auto-x days on my car.

Last edited:
Just hit 27,000 miles the other day in my 2012 Sport, this car has been good to me has had 2 track days on it and not really any issues an occasional clunk in the rear on speedbumps(norm i suppose lol)

with that said there are 2 things I really wish the Mazda2 had a 6th gear for highway driving down here in the speeds range from 65MPH-80MPH and when your cruising at 75MPH at 3k rpm its sometimes a little loud inside the car and I just wanna put it into 6th gear like the speed3 lol ,aside from that i love this car to death!

Well, I have 2,000 more miles on my 2 now than I did a week ago. So far no issues on my long trip, aside from a TPMS light. Topping off the tires made it happy.

Back