How fast does the EGR valve clog????

I had my 02 manual P5 in to the dealer to replace the release bearing and pilot bearing. Apparently they did that but when they took it for a drive, the CEL came on. They told me it was the EGR valve, they replaced it and the CEL went off. But my question is when I bought he car in October (less than a year ago), the CEL came on and the EGR valve was replaced then. Is it possible this clogged AGAIN?!?!? I forgot to ask if they hooked it up to the diagnostic machine to make sure it was the EGR valve, but it just seems fishy that the CEL light went on after they did work to my clutch (removing tranny, etc...)....

Just curious...
thanks

It might be depending on how good or bad the gas is & how little or much oil it may be burning or just in general that is a petty weakness of this car BUT it isn't that difficult to get to with 1/4 inch drive tools to remove & clean with brake or carb cleaner, pop back in & go more. There's a how-to for it in here too. Stop paying for the dealers retirement home & DIY FTW.............(do it yourself for the win)

Dont parts have at least a yr warranty? Check if it still had warranty on the old EGR

It might be depending on how good or bad the gas is & how little or much oil it may be burning or just in general that is a petty weakness of this car BUT it isn't that difficult to get to with 1/4 inch drive tools to remove & clean with brake or carb cleaner, pop back in & go more. There's a how-to for it in here too. Stop paying for the dealers retirement home & DIY FTW.............(do it yourself for the win)

haha, I agree, but they replaced it before they called me to tell me the car was done - I didn't ask for it.....it is all covered, so it isn't costing me a dime...., but still, less than a year sounds fast to clog again

haha, I agree, but they replaced it before they called me to tell me the car was done - I didn't ask for it.....it is all covered, so it isn't costing me a dime...., but still, less than a year sounds fast to clog again
I agree.

Mine has never done it either. I took mine off & checked it out due to all the stories here. It had carbon of course but was nowhere near being clogged. Cleaned it up & stuck it back in. That was around 45-50k.

My car is coming up on 70k and I've never had any EGR problems. I seem to be the exception to this rule, though.

I don't think so--I did a poll a while ago asking if people had problems with their EGR valves and the majority of voters never had an issue with it.

MY car idles like crap and I tried cleaning the EGR with no positive results. I've never had a CEL either. The dealer said that they don't understand my complaint and then proceded to tell me that if there was a problem it was because of the exhaust and intake.

Latest posts

Back