hopefully my last key questions...

2003proes

:
2003 Mazda Protege ES
I would like to fix the flip out part of my key. Do I need to get a new end cut and programmed or can I purchase a new end and take it apart to put my already cut key in there? Where is the "chip" part of the key? And if I have to purchase a new end and have it cut, can I program the new cut end with my old cut key by turning to current key and then removing it and turning the new key? I currently only have one key.

Having only one key for your 5 is a b****. All sorts of hassles can be avoided by having two keys, both programmed to work with your 5.

What is the reason for changing the key.

The switchblade key has a remote lock/unlock control and an ignition transponder built into the body that is separate from the key.

You can change the key blade by removing the pin that holds it to the body. Blanks are available on the internet (ebay) or from Mazda for about 10 bucks.

You could also buy a new switchblade with a key blank for about 50 bucks.
You then need to pay the dealer to program the new fob.

The reason i'm thinking about changing the key part is that who ever was the original temporary owner of the car beat the key to death. The key wobbles all around and the plastic housing for the key part is spreading apart. I just had to replace the electronic part to the key. I'm not overly excited that they still have the other original key either. oh well. I'm just holding this key until someone hands me the keys to a 2010 F-250 desiel crew cab 4x4.

Back