Honda discovers 3.5L V6 more powerful than first thought

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
18870_preview_opt.jpg

There is nothing better than finding a few stray horses that were previously unaccounted for. Honda engineers were running tests on the Accord's 3.5L V6 engine when they realized it was spinning the dyno with more horsepower and torque than originally thought. It caught the Honda team off guard, as the powerplant has received no design changes to warrant the extra power. Regardless, the marketing folks have been quick to update the power ratings of the 3.5-liter 24-Valve SOHC i-VTEC powerplant. Here are the new numbers for 2009: 271 hp replaces 268 hp on all V6 models, 254 lb-ft. replaces 248 lb-ft. on automatic transmission models and 251 lb-ft. replaces 248 lb-ft. on manual transmission models. One would have to assume that the 2008 model made the same power, it just wasn't noticed.

oh by the way, last time i measured my weiner with a ruler, i forgot to add 2 inches

As long as they keep the vtec fluid topped off, it will add power to the engine as it ages. By the time they're ready to get rid of the car, it'll be making 300hp!! Now you show me one manufacturer that has anything like that. Hondah is dah best!!

Back