Highway mileage.

Rdrcr

:
2014 Mazda2
I've taken two long road trips in the 2 recently and I've averaged 29-31MPG on the highway.
I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed.

I typically see 34-35MPG combined city/highway when driving in my local area.

Is it true that these cars don't do well when averaging over 75MPH?

If that is the case, this could be my problem because I enjoy traveling at a brisk pace when I'm out on the open road and it is safe to do so.

What is your highway MPG on road-trips?

Mike

I just got a 39.7mpg tank taking a 95% highway driving trip. 70mph the whole way. My last mixed tank was right at 35mpg.

Anything over 70 will probably suck down quite a bit more fuel, especially being over 3k rpm in top gear. 3100rpm at 70 vs something closer to 3500rpm at 75 will make a difference.

Last edited:
^^^^
That's really good.

Man, I'm just not disciplined, or patient enough to keep it at 70MPH.

Mike

My commute to and from work is a mix of stop start with plodding along at 30, 40 and 50 mph. When i fill up and workout mpg im getting 43mpg. Have never really been on a proper motorway run yet.

Here in Oklahoma, turnpikes are 75mph, and at 5 over that, I'm lucky to get 30 MPG. But she is really responsive to the throttle even in 5th.

My commute to and from work is a mix of stop start with plodding along at 30, 40 and 50 mph. When i fill up and workout mpg im getting 43mpg. Have never really been on a proper motorway run yet.

I'm assuming that's UK gallons? I know U.S. MPG is a bit lower than U.K. MPG (I think that translates to about 37-38 U.S. MPG.

I average around 80 on highway driving in Colorado, and on any tank with more than 75% highway driving, I usually get around 37-38 MPG (I actually just averaged 37.9 when I filled up today). I definitely am not an eco-minded driver and I still manage to get really good mileage on every tank.

With my car being nodded and tuned I take that into consideration for my mileage but going 79mph I average 29.8 mpg. If I drop down to 75 its the same mpg but at 70 it goes up to 30-31 mpg. Ive found my car to get better city miles than highway. I average 315-340 a tank when going city only but with highway I get about 280-300, I could get a but more but I hate pushing it when our meter doesn't show the last 3 gallons lol

^^^^
Good to know I'm not the only one. : )

Here in Oklahoma, turnpikes are 75mph, and at 5 over that, I'm lucky to get 30 MPG. But she is really responsive to the throttle even in 5th.

Thanks for the post. Same as my experience.

Mike

Back