HID's and DRL's on Halogen CX-5 (w/out Tech Package) HELP!

There is a oem led drl kit and aftermarket led drl kit that removes the drl from the headlights via a wire harness. I'm trying to find a way to get them sent to the USA. There are posts on them here.

Im thinking about just switching my yellow halogen DRL to the white 9005 LED bulbs. I hate the look of the yellow bulbs. I dont think i will be ever using the highbeam function anyway cause im getting HID's too. Do you guys think its a good idea?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-For-Lexus-IS-GS-SC-p/led_sku45_r4.htm

eh not sure thats a good idea, unless those bulbs are multi voltage rated, the lower power mode the drls run instead of the full voltage for highbeams could damage the leds or make them not run at all

if you really want led drls, do what i was going to do before i found out the tech package had drls (and could swap out the bulb)
get some side emitting led strips, relatively cheap on ebay, just make sure they're waterproof, then mount them along the top edge of the headlights just inside of the lip of the hood (so they're protected) and wire them to an acc switched fuse

Accord.jpg

Last edited:
I dont really want to add anything extra i just want to change the stock yellow bulb to white

not with the stock housing halogen housing, it doesn't have the moving shutter to switch between hi/lo beams to make it 'bi-xenon'

1) You can buy a pair of stock oem hid headlights and replace your factory halogens. The wiring is a little different, but easy to overcome.

2) Retrofit a set of bi-xenon projectors into the headlights. That is my plan. Currently waiting on a particular set of parts to finish testing before I start the process.

So can anyone tell me what I need if all I want to do is change out the DRL's on a Touring without the Tech package? The regular head lights are bright enough for me but I want the DRL's to be a little whiter/brighter.

So can anyone tell me what I need if all I want to do is change out the DRL's on a Touring without the Tech package? The regular head lights are bright enough for me but I want the DRL's to be a little whiter/brighter.

they most likely wont be brighter if they even work at all
to run high beams as drls most cars run a lower voltage feed to them,
that is bad for led's to run them under their designed power

if you found some leds that ran under a range of voltages then maybe, but without knowing what the car puts out in drl mode, you wouldn't know what appropriate range you should get and consequently run the risk of either having them not work, or having them die prematurely and replacing them 'frequently'

you could try running something like the sylvania ultra silver stars, they will be 'whiter' under normal usage, but not sure if they wont still be yellowish at reduced voltages as drls

they most likely wont be brighter if they even work at all
to run high beams as drls most cars run a lower voltage feed to them,
that is bad for led's to run them under their designed power

if you found some leds that ran under a range of voltages then maybe, but without knowing what the car puts out in drl mode, you wouldn't know what appropriate range you should get and consequently run the risk of either having them not work, or having them die prematurely and replacing them 'frequently'

you could try running something like the sylvania ultra silver stars, they will be 'whiter' under normal usage, but not sure if they wont still be yellowish at reduced voltages as drls

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The DRL's act as the high beams when the headlights are on?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The DRL's act as the high beams when the headlights are on?

ok, in the non-tech cars, the high beam does double duty as the drl also, since you can't drive around with highbeams on all day long they run them at a lower voltage than normal so its not as bright, so they can be used as drls

for instance (the drl voltage here is completely arbitrary on my part, just picked random value for sake of the description, i have no idea what the actual drl voltage is)
when headlights are on, and you select highbeams, the bulbs receive 12v dc
when headlights are off, and car initializes drls, the bulbs receive 8v dc so they aren't as bright as normal and dont glare

Do you think this could work to swap out the oem DRL halogen bulb with this one???? Do you think the high beam function would function as the oem bulb would?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
yeah that appears to be just another halogen bulb but with a coating on the glass to make them appear more 'white' (although reducing total light output in the process) so it should operate as normal

yeah that appears to be just another halogen bulb but with a coating on the glass to make them appear more 'white' (although reducing total light output in the process) so it should operate as normal

Okay cool my only concern is that it says "(Set of 2) 65W Xenon Gas Halogen Xenon Bulbs"

is 65w okay to use?

ok, in the non-tech cars, the high beam does double duty as the drl also, since you can't drive around with highbeams on all day long they run them at a lower voltage than normal so its not as bright, so they can be used as drls

for instance (the drl voltage here is completely arbitrary on my part, just picked random value for sake of the description, i have no idea what the actual drl voltage is)
when headlights are on, and you select highbeams, the bulbs receive 12v dc
when headlights are off, and car initializes drls, the bulbs receive 8v dc so they aren't as bright as normal and dont glare

Oh okay, I see. So it's really just about finding a whiter bulb with the same voltages? And that bulb that Mike picked out looks like exactly what I want, around 5000k, but you say it's just a coating on the bulb that makes it seem whiter? Does that make a difference?

I ordered those bulbs from amazon and they should be coming in on friday i will let you know the result sometime during the weekend.

The Highbeams act as DRL for CX-5's equiped with Halogen headlights.
If you have the OEM bi-xenon then the high beam bulb only acts as a DRL and the bi-xenon takes over for both low beam and high beam.

At 5000k you are still with in the sweet spot of usable light, perhaps just a hair lower then ideal but you will hardly be able to tell.

You will run into trouble once you hit 8k and work your way up to the even more foolish temps of 12k, 15k, etc....
Here you are still running the lamp at XXWatts, however the amount of light put out that you can actually see with is greatly reduced.

With any light, make sure you understand what you are buying.
more $$$ doesn't always mean better.

I understand you are not buying these bulbs, but look at this chart from sylvania
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appli...ms/Pages/lrgproductspecs.aspx?partnumber=9006

All quality bulbs, but weird that the cost / usable hours doesn't stack up.
You're not buying a brighter or longer lasting bulb....

Last edited:
Back