HID install for Canadian 5's

07mazda5

:
2007 Mazda 5 GT & 2004 Mazda 3 GS
Installed a MTEC HID kit this weekend. Quite easy once you know which wire to use to activate the relay for the DRL modual. I have everything hidden very nice in the engine compartment. The wire to give the signal to the relay to deactivate the DRL's is the grey and black wire that is plugged into a connector beside the driver headlight. There are three wires in the connector, grey and purpule, black and pink and grey and black. I will take pictures this week and post them. With this install, the lights work in the auto function, but no day times yet. Eventually, going to hook up the fogs for my day time running lights.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Hi,

Can you post a detailed howto on this? that would be great...and how to make our fogs DRL's.....I want HIDs bad, but want to keep DRL on the fogs and then shut off when the headlights are auto activated...thanks....

wouldnt it look weird if you have HID lows but no his... researching hids and bulbs and all...

No. I have 6000K HID lows in my Mazda5 and when I flip on the brights I can see ever farther. I think it has to do with the low beams going through the projector which cuts off the light pattern pretty abruptly. When you use the high beams, the light reflects off of a normal parabolic (or whatever it's called) reflector which is designed to spread the light in a much broader & taller pattern.

So from the driver's seat...no, it doesn't look weird.
From the oncoming traffic's perspective...it shouldn't matter because if you're driving around without dimming your lights for on coming traffic you need to get slapped. lol

Disable DRL

Installed a MTEC HID kit this weekend. Quite easy once you know which wire to use to activate the relay for the DRL modual. I have everything hidden very nice in the engine compartment. The wire to give the signal to the relay to deactivate the DRL's is the grey and black wire that is plugged into a connector beside the driver headlight. There are three wires in the connector, grey and purpule, black and pink and grey and black. I will take pictures this week and post them. With this install, the lights work in the auto function, but no day times yet. Eventually, going to hook up the fogs for my day time running lights.

I am just wondering what do you do whit that three wires?
did you disconnect the grey and black wire?

thx

If Canadian lights are the same as US then the lows stay on when you turn on the highs. I have HID in my low beams and when I turn on the highs it looks a little odd because I still have the OEM bulbs for high beams. I haven't used my high beams once since installing the HID though, they just aren't needed anymore (50 watt 4500K in case you were wondering)

Nope, the high beams are the conventional bulb and reflector lights closer to the center of the car if viewed from the front. The projectors are the low beam and thats where the HID conversion usually goes (as most of us seldom use the high beams versus lows)

There are three wires for your turn running lights. 2 power wires and one signal wire. To disable your DRL's, the only way i figured out how to do it was with a relay kit. The relay kit has instructions on how to hook it up, but requires on signal wire, so the relay know when to power up. The three wires I talked about orignially, one of those wires is the signal wire you need to have your HID's run like your regular headlights (leave the switch on Auto and never worry about them). Negitive is that this deactivates your DRL's. I have not has time to figure out how to run my DRL's to fogs yet. If you want more information, you can email me at my98neon@hotmail.com. I will try to help out the best I can.

I just got an 08' Mazda5 and I want to install HID as well. I assume the connections would be similar to your 07's. Can you upload some pictures on where about you hide the ballast please? Finding a good place to hid them is always a challenge.

Thanks../Ken

Back