Hey i'm new here!

s32ialx

:
Mazda Protege5 02
Hey guys I recently purchased an 02 Protege5 I've finally decided to toss out that stock stereo for my old deck from my 02 neon, Eclipse CD5030... So i went online searching for a wiring diagram that would allow me to chop off the end and wire me up some good stuff then I ran in to an issue... Upon inspection of the wiring color codes from Modlife, Which this diagram is also used by many other sites as "correct" but if you inspect the actual wiring diagram manual you will see that is not even close to the correct diagram as it mentions not of a pink wire when there is in fact one...

TLDR;

I need help with wiring.. I figured out which is what other then a few small issues

The Portege5's 'Correct' Wiring List
PHP:
System:
(W) Black (Thick) - To Battery (-)
(R) Pink w/ Black stripe - Ingition Switch
(G) White w/ Blue stripe - Illumination < Why are there two?
(E) Light Green w/ Black stripe - Illumination < Which one do I use?
(B) Blue w/ Red stripe - Acc (+)

Speakers:
(X) Green w/ Orange - Rear Right (-) 
(Y) Green 	    - Rear Right (+)
(U) Brown	    - Rear Left (-)
(S) Brown w/ White  - Rear Left (+)

(F) White	    - Front Right (-)
(D) Red		    - Front Right (+)
(C) Black w/ White  - Front Left (-)
(A) Black w/ Red    - Front Left (+)

Eclipse CD5030 Wiring:
PHP:
Speakers:
1. White/Black (Front L Ch -)
2. White (Front L Ch +)
3. Gray (Front R Ch +
4. Gray/Black (Front R Ch -)

5. Green/Black (Rear L Ch -)
6. Green (Rear L Ch +)
7. Purple (Rear R Ch +)
8. Purple/Black (Rear R Ch -)

System:
9. Blue/White (Amp Control +B)
10. Blue (Power Antenna)
11. Brown (Steering 2)
12. Brown/Black (Steering 1)
13. Orange/White (Illumination)
14. Red (Acc +B)
15. Yellow (Backup to Battery) (+)
16. Black (GND)

Which wire does 13 have to go to? G or E or Both?

Do I connect 16 the ground to W or mount it to a post on the inside?

Sorry it's been a few years since I used this deck I have not had the neon in a while and had vehicles in between these two so my memory on how I had it set up in the neon and how this protege5's wiring look are kinda wonky, so any tips or help would be greatly appreciated I feel like it's time to get my kicker sound system re-installed.

Last edited:
I Figured it all out except for the illumination

the Eclipse Deck lights up just fine but when I switch my headlights and cluster lights on only my external lights come on and my cluster lights remain off (I just twisted the two vehicles Illumination wires with the decks hoping it would just work since the diagram it's very explanatory on the matter.
yaUE1DC.png

5BUaiE4.png

I'm pretty sure you shorted out your circuit.

Separate the two illumination wires and make sure your lights and dimmer still work.

If they do,.. just connect one of the illumination wires and see if everything works and dims,... If not switch the illumination wire input to your stereo.

I'm pretty sure you want to use only the Light Green with Black stripe wire. (then just tape off the other one)

(you may have fried your dimmer switch)

Last edited:
Wouldnt it have been easier just to buy the pigtail from a stereo shop or walmart then to go through all the trouble of cutting the stock harness

Found this on another website, hope it helps...

I tested the theory of the LIME/BLACK wire.

It is used by our STOCK HEAD UNIT ONLY for dimming the lights. CAN NOT BE USED by any AFTERMARKET units. THE DIMMER (white/black) wire is only used to tell the headunit that the lights are on and THATS IT.

I tested this with voltmeter and cutting the wires.

Wouldnt it have been easier just to buy the pigtail from a stereo shop or walmart then to go through all the trouble of cutting the stock harness

^This. The harness is like 10 bucks, Walmart carries them. Water under the bridge now though.

Thanks guys no I didn't buy it cause my local Walmart's are out of stock and I was not planing on reversing the changes (I have not soldered anything).

If the switch is fried is it replaceable? is that the lil nob beside my fog lights that I can scroll up and down I take it?

Again guys thanks for that info going to go check to see the results now.

P.S. lets say my gf did not want to wait till the next day to go searching other walmarts more like spend the money when it can be done free type thing. ;)

Last edited:
,...If the switch is fried is it replaceable? is that the lil nob beside my fog lights that I can scroll up and down I take it?

Yes,... The switch/dial/oscillator are all in that switch.

P.S. lets say my gf did not want to wait till the next day to go searching other walmarts more like spend the money when it can be done free type thing. ;)

The switch is removed from behind (gotta pop a pair of clips then disconnect the plug)

Go to your local pick and pull to find a replacement,..

Send the gf,... she did this she can fix it.

Yes,... The switch/dial/oscillator are all in that switch.

The switch is removed from behind (gotta pop a pair of clips then disconnect the plug)

Go to your local pick and pull to find a replacement,..

Send the gf,... she did this she can fix it.

She's already looking up places to get the part haha but sadly some of those places will remove it for her!!!!!

Might be SoL till monday seems they are closed today.

Again thanks all for the help appreciated, but my last question.

I've done what rsvinylgraphics suggested and disconnected the light green / blue wire and connected the white / blue wire to the illumination switch. now when I turn the headlights on the A/C Rear defog and stereo illumination dim is that because the dimmer is fried or because I have the wires backwards?

I wish I knew this stuff my dad used to be the head electrician for GM but never really included me in his life much I went my own route and went computers but not the electrical side which if I did I'd better understand logic gates and how they work

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity since we might be waiting till Monday to get this fix as it's looking to be a 'dealer' part which makes/models can I also look for in the "local pick and pull" to grab this switch from better to have multiple models to look for then hoping they have a 2002 Protege5

Does the dial work ?? Can you turn the brightness up and down.

If so it's working.

Back