Hesitation / Vibration in my new CX-7

I have noticed it, i think i posted someting about this to.

Seems like the car will not maintain at the 60-65mph range without a good amount of throttle, but then speed becomes an issue. If you try to maintain the 60-65 it does downshift whenever u seem to give it a hint of throttle to stay at a steady speed. The downshifting of the auto is aggrevating, and when it downshifts sometimes the tranny will kick. I think this is pretty much a cross-the-line issue just its whether or not each driver actually notices it more. I somehow have not put it into manual mode and left it in 5, or 6 - im going to try that.

I too, gave the dealer a punch list- Why leave anything up to questioning, make sure all the bases are covered.

Other than that 60-65 range, everything else is purring

For what it's worth I've never noticed the hesitation, but when I had my CX-7 at the dealership a couple of weeks ago I asked them to do any available PCM updates. The manager said they'd just got a new update disc in the day before, but that technically they weren't supposed to do updates just for the hell of it, only when the customer complains about something related. So, he rewrote the service request as "Customer reports hesitation and surging at 60 MPH, please reflash PCM"... so maybe the update they got was supposed to fix the problem you're having. The version numbers are on my service invoice if anybody wants to know what they gave me.

Has anyone noticed this hesitation at 50 mph, I have had mine do this several times now. Also noticed it one at about 60.

TheMAN said:
there will be a TSB released on the 60mph surging. It is due to poor transmission control logics. Just have your dealership update the TCM programming and it should fix it.

If you get surging/bucking (not around 60mph) and/or misfire "CEL"s, it could be a bad fuel injector... there have been several isolated cases of these happening in the L3-VDT engines already
Does anybody know if this update fixed the problem, my surging is getting worse

Hasplode said:
For what it's worth I've never noticed the hesitation, but when I had my CX-7 at the dealership a couple of weeks ago I asked them to do any available PCM updates. The manager said they'd just got a new update disc in the day before, but that technically they weren't supposed to do updates just for the hell of it, only when the customer complains about something related. So, he rewrote the service request as "Customer reports hesitation and surging at 60 MPH, please reflash PCM"... so maybe the update they got was supposed to fix the problem you're having. The version numbers are on my service invoice if anybody wants to know what they gave me.
Can you give me the latest version numbers please, so i can compare what version he installs thanks

mwr577 said:
Has anyone noticed this hesitation at 50 mph, I have had mine do this several times now. Also noticed it one at about 60.
Yes mine does it between 40 and 60, so its just not at one speed

You know the funny thing is..I was braggin to my dad today about how cool the car is and how i'm seriously looking into getting one very soon.

I made mention to him of the 6-speed auto tranny, and the first thing he said was:

"Hmm..too many gears to choose from, everytime theres more gears, theres more problems.."

He's been working on cars for the past 30 years. I trust his judgement, but I also disagree a little because more gears could be useful for more powerful cars, thats for sure. We might not have needed a 6-speed for the CX but oh well. Its there, have fun I guess.

The first thing I'm going to do when I get mine, is I'm going to ask to meet, and speak with one particular service rep. I'm going to get to know him and get the point across that I am not just any other person. That I will expect him to take me seriously and I don't want any bs because of my past vehicle, i've already had enough bs fed to me from other places. It may come off as harsh, but its either that, or I'm coming after my salesperson to demand service.

Its a long story but I'm not too happy at the fact the CX is my favorite car right now, and it hasn't been out very long, so i'm weary about first year problems.

there has been TCM updates almost weekly, probably attempting to address this issue... on another note, a new ECU update has also been released a few weeks ago... the latest one changes the boost control in that the powerband feels more linear rather than an abrupt surge in power when boost kicks in... this update may make you feel like the car has less power than before because of the increased smoothness, however the actual power delivery is the same

here is the latest TSB:

TSB: 01-053/06

2007 CX-7 - LACK OF POWER OR HESITATION ON ACCELERATION UNDER 2,000 RPM

BULLETIN NOTE

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin issued on 12/14/06. The APPLICABLE MODELS(S)/VINS has been revised.
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007 CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER****7*155979 (produced before Dec. 15, 2006)
DESCRIPTION

Some vehicles may experience a lack of power or hesitation on initial start under 2,000 rpm (before turbo kicks in). The PCM software has been changed to provide smoother acceleration feel.
NOTE: With this revised calibration, some customers may feel there is a slight decrease in power due to the smoother feeling. The engine power output is unchanged.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Reboot the IDS to clear memory before reprogramming.​
2. Using IDS B46.6 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration (refer to "Calibration Information" table) by following the "Module Reprogramming" procedure. NOTE:
  • Always update the IDS tool first, then follow on-screen instructions to download the needed calibration file for PCM reprogramming.
  • It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM reprogramming when the IDS screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and cause the PCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the IDS reprogramming procedure.
  • IDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the PCM.
  • Please be aware that PCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin may change due to future releases of IDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations for service related concerns.
  • When reprogramming a PCM, IDS will always display the "latest" calibration P/N available for that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.
  • When performing this procedure, we recommend that a battery charger be installed on the vehicle battery and turned ON to a maximum charge of no more than 20 AMPS to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If you exceed 20 AMPS, it could damage the VCM.
3. After performing the PCM reprogramming procedure, verify the repair by starting the engine and making sure there are no MIL illumination or abnormal warning lights present. NOTE:
  • If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs according to the appropriate Troubleshooting section of the Workshop Manual.
  • After PCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to "relearn" KAM (Keep Alive Memory).
4. Fill out an "Authorized Modifications" label (P/N 9999-95-AMDC-97) with the new PCM calibration information, your dealer code, and todays date.​
5. Place the "Authorized Modifications" label on the "A" pillar below the tear tag in the driver door jamb. The "Authorized Modification" label will inform technicians of the PCM calibration change if future repairs are necessary.​
CALIBRATION INFORMATION

NOTE: Please be aware of the following before programming PCM with this calibration: With this revised calibration, some customers may feel there is a decrease in power due to smoother acceleration. Please explain to the customer there is no defect as the acceleration has been made more linear. Engine power output has not been changed.

Spec.
New PCM Calibration Part Number
File Name
Calif. - 2WD
L33L-18-881J
SW-L33LEP000
Calif. - 4WD
L33M-18-881J
SW-L33MEP000
Fed. - 2WD
L33N-18-881J
SW-L33NEP000
Fed. - 4WD
L33P-18-881J
SW-L33PEP000

NOTE: The PCM Calibration Part Numbers listed above are provided for PCM reprogramming purposes only. These are not necessarily the same Mazda part numbers used to order an actual PCM through the Mazda Parts System. It is not necessary to order a PCM as part of this repair procedure.
WARRANTY INFORMATION

NOTE:
  • This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.
  • Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
Warranty Type
A
Symptom Code
Damage Code
9E
Part Number Main Cause
5555-06-036A
Quantity
Operation Number / Labor Hours
XXB489FX / 0.3 Hrs.

TheMAN,

Funny you mention that... after my last TCM/PCM Flash I kinda felt like it lost a little power, but I was chalking it up to being in my subconscious. It still feels fast, I just don't get that "pushed back in my seat" feeling as much. Maybe it still is subconscious, but when I read your reply, it kinda made sense.

Silver Ecstasy said:
I trust his judgement, but I also disagree a little because more gears could be useful for more powerful cars, thats for sure. We might not have needed a 6-speed for the CX but oh well.

I'm willing to speculate the reason for 6 gears, more specifically very short 1st and 2nd, is to make up for the fact that the car is 3900# and only has 4 cylinders (albeit turbocharged) and 258 lb/ft TQ. It's gotta get going from naught to anything in less than a decade....

CXRabbit said:
TheMAN,

Funny you mention that... after my last TCM/PCM Flash I kinda felt like it lost a little power, but I was chalking it up to being in my subconscious. It still feels fast, I just don't get that "pushed back in my seat" feeling as much. Maybe it still is subconscious, but when I read your reply, it kinda made sense.
after your update, do you still get the surge or the hesitation? because from what i read initial start under 2,000 rpm? the surge happens when your moving under slight load from speeds around 40 to 60, or am i missing something (shrug) (confused)

Last edited:
I didn't feel the hesitation to begin with. They updated because they were looking into another issue I was having and saw there was a new update having to do with the CEL/MIL.

Hesitation

I have the same problem with my CX-7, the car feels like its hunting for fuel and then has a slight surge, it's if your driving with the choke pulled out (for those of you who remember what a choke is!). It's very difficult to keep at a constant speed smoothly, without compensating with the gas pedal. Most of the threads on this forum relate the problem with auto gerboxes, but my CX-7 is a manual shift which would lead my to believe the problem has to be with the engine. I've spoken with the dealership and the service manager test drove the one they had in the showroom, it had exactly the same problem. He has now contacted Masda U.K. and I,m now waiting for engineers from Mazda to have a look. Lets see what they come up with.

Hi, Ive been researching this problem for months, also with a 6sp Manual CX7. I was also told by a Mazda garage that their other demo models did this. Was there ever any follow up or conclusion to the guys post above with Mazda UK?

Back