help!

paylew

:
09 CWP MS3
Ok, it's not the MS3 but I figured I would get more hits in this section. Mods, if it's a problem move it.

Our 240 just died on the interstate and we had it towed home to take a look at it. My fiance said he was driving and it felt like it was just "giving out." He was in 5th and it didn't want to go, then in 4th it didn't want to, and then the oil light came on and the temp gauge went straight up and it stuttered and died.

Fuel pump? Seize? Any ideas? It's a DD so it needs to be up and running as quick as we can manage.

Thanks d00ds

check the oil obviously. give it a crank to see if it rotates at all. if not then its seized. other than that i have no idea without more info. take it to mechanic? scan it for codes, etc..

Seriously, you need a compression check the whole nine. It could have over heated and warped the heads or seized all together. Will it turn over? Oil? Coolant?

lol you guys are getting ahead of yourselves.

engines need 2 basic things to run:
1. Spark (I list this first, because it is the easiest to check)
2. Fuel

90% of the time, one of these things is not happening and that is why your car is not running. I guarantee these are the first two things they will check if you take it to a shop.

It doesn't turn over but the oil is fine. It's not low, and it's still clean from the last change. The spark plugs look perfect, the car doesn't turn over at all. You can hear the relay click then nothing. We are going to take a look into the fuel pump somehow and probably pull the head just to make sure nothing went wrong in there.

lol you guys are getting ahead of yourselves.

engines need 2 basic things to run:
1. Spark (I list this first, because it is the easiest to check)
2. Fuel

90% of the time, one of these things is not happening and that is why your car is not running. I guarantee these are the first two things they will check if you take it to a shop.

lets not forget air

when my 240 died on me years ago it was the timing chain had snapped.. they have to be changed every 100 000 km (not sure how many miles that is)

This happened to me in a POS 1979 Corolla I drove to college. In my case, when I opened the hood & saw the alternator dangling from its belt, I knew what the problem was. I'm just glad I stopped before it jumped ship altogether.

To be more helpful, my symptoms began with a loss of power in 5th gear, then I downshifted & kept losing power right down to 2nd gear, before I stopped. (When you run on pure battery power, the spark slowly fades...)

So this could be as simple as a dead battery, caused by (possibly) a dead alternator. I'd start with a jumpstart & check the voltage at the battery. If you get the car started, the alternator should be pushing out around 13.5 volts, give or take. Anything less than 13 or so, and your alternator may need replacing. (Or maybe just needs the belt tightened/replaced- always check the simple stuff first)

This happened to me in a POS 1979 Corolla I drove to college. In my case, when I opened the hood & saw the alternator dangling from its belt, I knew what the problem was. I'm just glad I stopped before it jumped ship altogether.

To be more helpful, my symptoms began with a loss of power in 5th gear, then I downshifted & kept losing power right down to 2nd gear, before I stopped. (When you run on pure battery power, the spark slowly fades...)

So this could be as simple as a dead battery, caused by (possibly) a dead alternator. I'd start with a jumpstart & check the voltage at the battery. If you get the car started, the alternator should be pushing out around 13.5 volts, give or take. Anything less than 13 or so, and your alternator may need replacing. (Or maybe just needs the belt tightened/replaced- always check the simple stuff first)

agreed and beat me to it. same thing happened in my old miata, alternator went to s*** so in the beginning when i revved higher the headlights would dim. then eventually the spark plugs quit firing in high rpms then it just died while driving.

KISS- keep it simple stupid

see? spark.

90% of the time it is either spark or fuel, and 90% of those times, it's spark. I agree with billthecat 100%. jump it and check the voltage.

wow, you must be a master tech. I'll bet you know exactly what is wrong with everything, don't you.

lol so touchy! i am not claiming to be a master tech. you asked me a question, i gave you an answer. relax

an engine will not run without an air supply. prove me wrong

we're talking about troubleshooting.

that's like saying an engine will not run without cylinders.

Back