Help

help guys im pretty worried as i think ive just cost myself a wad

coming back from a car show the car developed a rattle at first i thought nothing of it thinking it was a heat shield, then it got worst and worst and only came on when i put the throttle down, i then went round a corner and the the oil light flicked on twice and now it sounds like a bag of s***.

the dipstick has only a couple of blotches of oil on it, the car hasnt been serviced for 20 thousand miles, it was on my to do list :(

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/NMMotorsport/?action=view&current=7c492fac.flv

i reved it at the start so u could hear.

my ideas are a spun bearing, although if ive got metal on metal this could cost a lot!

help

ok it had no oil in it ive checked, so i filled it up to full, and it sounds a bit better but the rattle is still there after about 3500 rpm.

No oil/filter change in 20K miles? Your engine: :'(

Well, maybe it's not that bad. I recently read a long-term test on a 330i in Car and Driver. That car monitors oil temperature and load and then dynamically indicates when it needs an oil change. Their first oil change came a little after 19K miles.

Last edited:
Yeah, but he ran it out of oil. I have seen an engine that ran for more than 20K miles without an oil change, but there was still oil in it. I would suspect that you damaged it. How severely, it depends on how long it ran with no oil. I am suspecting a rod bearing is starting to fail.

You have probably been beating yourself up enough(hand), so I won't berate you about neglecting it. I would take it in and have a mechanic you can trust look at it. But I don't think he will have good news for you.

yer i know im a complete retard, its just really annoying, cos now im proberly stuck between getting into debt and building the engine up ready for the darkside -first one in england. or just fixing it. gonna tow it to my motorsport garage 2morrow to find out the bad news :(

ok so the engines a bit broke, my best guess is that ive bust the cynender walls, all though because i havent lost power, it could possible be the tappets have got noisey due to oil startvation.

anyway my question is, what can i drop straight into this car? without any hassel or anything, would a msp engine fit?, orwould a 170bhp na jap spec one be easier. im just playing with ideas ive got a standard one lined up to go in, but if i can easily drop somthing better in im all ears

cheers guys

jspec engine will go in, but its obdI, so without the harness and ecu you wont get any gains that are worth it. msp engine will go in, but you probably spun a bearing. there are no tappets in these motors, solid lifters. rebuild and turbo kit :)

o ok, cool

so the msp engine will go in straight up, will it need any other stuff? and is it cheap to just rebuild and tubo my engine anyway?

Nothing at this point is going to be cheap. A new motor will probably be upwards of $2000. The MSP motor will drop straight in aslong as you make sure to get the ECU with it but aside from that everything else is compatable. Oh and you have to have a manual transmission. That being said rebuilding your engine with forged parts will lend an extra level of resilliance to these motors which are known for having week rods and such. You'll also be able to run higher boost levels if you rebuild the bottom-end but I would not recommend turning up the boost on a stock MSP engine.

Back