Help with Misfire / Stuttering

:
'02 Mazda Protege5
I am having problems with my engine stuttering. A week ago my engine had a couple of misfires during the day, as the day went on the misfires became more frequent until in the evening, as soon as i gave it much gas the engine would stutter and misfire.
I was able to drive to autozone and scanned a cylinder 3 misfire. i brushed off white deposits off the cylinder 3 plug but it didnt help much. the car has newish plugs and wires

I just replaced the coil packs today but it still stutters under heavy load such as low gear at slow speed, but doesnt seem to have trouble with full acceleration through the gears.

Currently no check engine light

Any ideas of what the problem could be?

Yes, it is still misfiring under heavy load - not idle though.
If i blip the throttle, i can feel hesitation that wasn't there before my problems started.

And as for the MAF sensor, i keep the filter clean, nothing looks dirty.

Is there a device that i can test fuel pressure with?
Can a nice OBDII scanner give me detailed information on spark voltage and/or better info than just the cheap ones they let you borrow at autozone?

Is there a device that i can test fuel pressure with?
Can a nice OBDII scanner give me detailed information on spark voltage and/or better info than just the cheap ones they let you borrow at autozone?

You said you have changed coil pack ? Did you change both coil or just one ? I had same problem in My Protege5 but problem went away after I changed both of the coil. My car have 2.0 liter engine in it. Right now I drove around 850 miles without shuttering problem.

what kinda plugs u using?
i had the walmart autolite kind and it was causing misfires and stuttering....so i went with NGK OEM kind and all problems solved in my case. i also cleaned EGR valve.

what kinda plugs u using?
i had the walmart autolite kind and it was causing misfires and stuttering....so i went with NGK OEM kind and all problems solved in my case. i also cleaned EGR valve.

+1.....pull your plugs and see what they look like too.....and yeah you can get a fuel pressure gauge that connects to the fuel rail

had success with my friends misfire/shuttering problem

Change your coil packs.... i was working on my friends pro5 with P0300 code and her CAT was like red hot. i changed her coil packs and it cured it. also, change them soon because if you prolong the problem, you might have to replace your CAT.

also, i recommend using OEM spark plugs.

OK i changed the plugs with new ones today.
I am using NGK Iridium plugs, but the old ones didn't seem bad; I'll see if i can post some pics of those in a bit.
Still some hesitation on acceleration, not as bad as before though. It just doesnt seem like lightly worn plugs would be the cause of my problems though, any thoughts?

I just replaced the coil packs today but it still stutters under heavy load such as low gear at slow speed, but doesnt seem to have trouble with full acceleration through the gears.

Yep

And my cat is fouled from a problem a year ago; I've got the 2nd O2 sensor moded so no check engine light from that

Last edited:
Have you pulled your intake boot off and physically inspected it all around???? Also, is this misfire stutter when under load, or will it do it in idle and or neutral?

Ignore that last post, I some how missed the two or three posts in regards to those questions. It sounds like an issue we have been having with our car. Our shows cat though. Did you use the fouler trick as your mod for the cat? I am seriously considering it at this point. I went through my records and our cat was replaced not too long ago....

I replaced the plugs and my misfiring / stuttering disappeared for several weeks...

Two nights ago i noticed some misfires again under heavy load. Today i got the check engine light to come on by driving up a hill in low gear. I scanned at autozone and read a cylinder 3 misfire again...

Plug wires were within tolerance of their resistance rating when i was testing things after the initial problem. Could the problem still be something as simple as a faulty plug wire?

Back