help!! why i should get a protege5...

tzh said:
In that case I will suggest her to get the new Chevy Aveo, what's up with that car...
It's actually a Daewoo, but since the Daewoo name is such crap, they sell them under Chevy now.

The Jetta is an nice car....when properly equipped.

When comparing prices the only reasonable option is the base 2.0 jetta. The P5 comes pretty loaded and handles great. The interior is alot more roomy too. I'd go for the P5, there isn't much motivation to get a base Jetta at the same price. If it were a VR6 however....(GTi please)

(burnout) I would say if you can afford a car more than the MP5 Then get the new MP3 or even better......

THE 2002 SUBARU WRX... Now thats a hell of a car.

Replica said:
The Jetta is an nice car....when properly equipped.

When comparing prices the only reasonable option is the base 2.0 jetta. The P5 comes pretty loaded and handles great. The interior is alot more roomy too. I'd go for the P5, there isn't much motivation to get a base Jetta at the same price. If it were a VR6 however....(GTi please)
(hump) Yeah that is right. New Jetta VR6 only comes with manual trans.

Pete47 said:
(burnout) I would say if you can afford a car more than the MP5 Then get the new MP3 or even better......

THE 2002 SUBARU WRX... Now thats a hell of a car.
there hasn't been a new MP3 in 3 years

Mercure said:
My theory is that JD Power often pays attention to brand name cachet and price more than it does to the car. VW is supposed to be reliable and is German and costs more, while Mazda has no special reputation for most people.

The appeal ratings are a manifestation of crack use, pure and simple.
lol german reliability, vw is on par with hyundai for reliability according to consumer reports as well as a couple other groups, japanese manuf have the highest with lexus and infinity being the VERY TOP, acura close behind, then toyota, buick ( yeah right) honda, nissan,

ever since they moved their factories to mexico to save money ....reliability went down considerably
some companies are greedy and they want huge profits , therefore quality suffers

I thought VW factories in Maxico only for assembling. The parts are shipped from Germany. Is it right? Is PR5 made in Japan or other country?

I believe you're right, but regardless of the quality of the parts...if you put it together bad then your product is bad.

Jetta's are nice, but they're A) expensive for what you get, B) underpowered in 4 cylinder form, and C) have really soft suspension. I test drove a manual 4 cylinder and it was a dog and had WAAAAY too much body roll. Same with the VR6 auto, but it flew! You would think they'd upgrade the suspension with the VR6.

Oh well...I still say get an Echo...they're faster! Bolt on the factory turbo and you've got a very fast, very homely car that rides on 14 inchers! WHEEEEEE!!!!
Then grab a wing like this from JCW, and you'll earn some instant street cred.

I20512.gif;pvde5d5f7be912f371

But you'll have to park two blocks from home so nobody knows you drive one, because they'll just laugh!

Last edited:
Proteges are all made in Japan - I heard the sedans are made in Hiroshima and the PR5 another city

Dont get a P 5

The engines are noisy. I have one and the engine was replaced once with 3500 miles due to excessive rod knock on start up hot or cold

My engine isn't noisy. I have a P5 with 35,000 miles. And as has been mentioned, any sources rate the model as having outstanding reliability, including mechanics I've talked to.

It's just you.

Yea......Mazda's are very reliable. Thats the only reason that I brought mine. I didn't buy mine for speed, space, or quiteness. I brought this car with a peace of mind that its going to last over 200,000 miles with little or no problems. I brought it used with 35,500 miles on it and its a 2002. I have had no major problems with it and I love it.... ;)

But if I want speed and lots of accessories i would've brought a WRX...

Call me a nerd, but the reason I chose the PR5 was because it is such a practical long term vehicle. It's the first new car i've bought (I'm 20) and i figure that if im going to be paying this thing off for the rest of my natural life, I mind as wlel have something I can use. I almost bought a RSX, but then I pictured myself tryinjg to fit 4 people into that car, or even trying to carry a bike, and decided that I wanted something with a little more room. My past car (geo storm) was tinnnnyyyy and i LOVE have four doors now! This car has been more useful then ANY of my friends' cars. Whenever anyone needs to move something, I'm the one they call. As a matter of fact, I just recently moved and the only thing I couldnt fit in the hatch was my mattress and my couch! I even got a lazyboy back there!
I guess its kind of a boring way to buy a car, but they're fun as hell to drive, they look fantastic and they're very useful. Not to mentoin the great gas mileage and VERY decent insurance. And I know that in five years I'm going to have a car that will not only look good and run well, but that I will also be able to use for years to come..unlike some of my friends who are getting married soon and buying little pocket rockets. Seems like a waste of money to me.

OH and about the Echo...I'm glad SOMEONE realized that was a joke...I was starting to wonder if I had missed something about those POS cars

We had 92 Protege LX for 3 years with no major problems. We love that car. That is the mine reason why we like Mazda. First we were thinking to get the 6 but since the car is for my wife and she is small so we got the PR5. Also we test drove Impreza wagon and Vibe/Matrix.
Well nothing is perfect, the only problem is lack of cup holders in PR5. Back sit passengers have to hold their drinks. I know we can get the aftermarket part but still , why did they just put it in at first place.

Back