Help! What screws are these?

fishdonotbounce

Registered Zombie
:
08.5 CWP Speed3
Go to autozone. They have a bunch of different assortments of those little clips in one of the aisles. Just ask them if you could try them out

i'd just call your nearest mazda dealer, and ask for parts. those guys usually will know exactly what you're looking for, and can probably get you dimensions and or part numbers...

ps post some pics of the damage if you dont mind, id like to see it

I thought I would post this here because it's semi-appearance related; I lost these two screws today that hold my front bumper to my front splash guard (on my 2008 mazda 3s hatch) (one is missing in this other person's pic):

2.jpg

I hit a cute little cocker spaniel on my way home from work :( I went back and looked for him...it turned out he ran back to his owners house! He was just fine; amazing considering that he put a pretty good dent in my bumper. I think his small size helped him out (probably weighed 15lbs); and I guess the new pedestrian safety requirements are worthwhile!

Also, Very glad I just installed Centric Rotors and Hawk HPS brake pads on all 4 corners this past weekend. I think this could have been much worse if I hadn't. I was doing 60 when he came sprinting out of his driveway. I highly recommend them.

But anyway; those two little screws/grommets/clips, whatever they're called. Can anyone tell me where I can find the part number for them? I think I can fix the small dent and clean up the paint; but I have an annoying noise coming from the front bumper and I think these screws being missing are the cause.

I feel bad enough for hitting the dog, so I don't want to make a claim on this...the police took the report and insurance will try to make the owners pay for it if I file a claim. It's very little damage, and everything works fine (I'll post pics tomorrow if anyone is interested).

Thanks!

-Mike

NEARLY got the bumper off yesterday. I could not seem to find two of the 4 screws that hold the bumper on on the top. I think it was just these little rubber mounts that the hood sits on that were keeping me from getting it off; but I couldn't figure out how to remove them.

Anyway, I'm going in to the dealer tomorrow so they can show me how to get it off. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I know this for sure: I broke a little mount just behind the bumper that holds the connection for fog light power.

Pics:

img00095339199.jpg

img00105351533.jpg

img00115361688.jpg

img00125372743.jpg

missing screws:

img00125372743.jpg

Poor little bracket that holds the wiring for the foglights:
img00145391541.jpg

img00165403316.jpg

The things that I could not get off:
img00195420854.jpg

Any ideas??? Thanks!

-Mike

Last edited:
Yup. Just dealt with those little $&@#ers a couple weekends ago. They're NOT screws. If you look at the side, you'll notice that it's actually three pieces: the rubber on top, the plastic that it's locked into and a plastic base piece. Wedge a small flat-head screwdriver between the two plastic pieces (ignore the "notch" on the side where the rubber piece goes down more and the top plastic piece gets thin) and gently twist to lift the top plastic and rubber assembly out of the base. Then remove the base.

Then (if you haven't already found them) you'll need to lean over the middle of the bumper to see where the two hook-like tabs on the bumper latch into the two squarish holes in the metal reinforcement beam, about 3 in. closer toward the center than the rubber-topped fasteners were, under that black plastic piece. There's just enough space to fit a finger in each. Push the bumper in toward the rear slightly and lift the tabs and it'll come right off. Have a friend help or put a towel/blanket down under it so it doesn't get scratched up (any more than it is).

But before you do any of that, make sure you've removed the screws holding the trailing corner of the bumper in front of the wheel to the fender. To get at them, peel the piece with the two missing screws toward the tire. In the pic you posted, notice the spot toward the top where the part that faces the tire curves in about 3 in. from the corner? The screw is roughly straight up under that, maybe back a bit. It's exactly the same as the 11 screws that were holding the splash guard to the rear lip of the bumper. It's also the hardest screw to remove without dropping so I highly recommend using a magnetic screw driver or magnetic box-end socket driver. It comes out straight down. If you haven't removed them yet and you release the bumper, then the bumper may bend and ripple the paint on the corner near this screw. (Didn't happen to me when I was working on mine, just have seen what auto paint does when the plastic it's painted onto bends.)

Last edited:
Thanks Sunrun! I got it off; put it down on a towel in my yard, and stepped on the back of the bumper. When I put all of my weight down on it, it popped back out, with a satisfying "thunk". Can't even tell it was damaged! I'll post pics of it when it stops raining and once I've cleaned it up a bit.

New question: My foglight works fine (and it looks fine), but the housing is still broken. I might be imagining things but I think I can hear it when I accelerate hard. I've looked all over but I can only seem to find complete foglights; my lens, bulb and socket are all fine, I just need the plastic mount that holds it in place! Anyone know where I can find one? I'll be calling my dealer about it tomorrow...

Thanks,

-Mike

Latest posts

Back