Help the ignorant?

Changed1MG

:
'03 Mazda Protege5 in Laser Blue Mica
I was researching some possible turbo kits for my PR5 - but I don't have the know-how to pick and choose the items I'd need - and I was thinking that the HiBoost kit sounded good.

I don't really know much of anything about auto mechanics, so I was wonderin if someone could tell me what they thought of that specific kit. Would it be street legal? Is any aftermarket kit street legal? And what does CARB mean? The site said the kit would "pass the test in all 50 states as a LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle)," but it also says it's for "off-road use only". Yea, that doesn't sound all too good.

http://hiboost.com/index.htm

I can't really afford the kit now anyway, but it's good research, I guess.
(gtfo)

Last edited:
hiboost is a great kit. CARB legal is a california thing, if you dont live there dont worry bout it. its for keeping emmissions from vehicals low and all that. and you wont pass the visual in smog if your in cali either with a aftermarket turbokit. i dunno how many cats hiboost does away with but i bet that kits turbo manifold bolts up to the 1st cat,if it does itll pass emmissions. theres another great kit out made by mental addiction motorsports, it seems very promissing. check it out too.

ok, so if it can pass the emissions tests, it's street legal? Why do the sites say they're for "off-road use only"?

because they do not want to be held responsible if you fail emissions or find a cop who wants to be a dick. their are alot of turbo options and i really hate to say it but search the forced induction forum for way to many options to list.......

what does a turbo kit usually come with?

does it usually have all that the hi boost kit comes with?

Short list, you have Wagner's kit, hiboost kit, NSN kit (to come), the venerable Flyin' Protege (Flyin' Miata) kit....okay, I'm forgetting a lot and dont want to leave anyone out. There is a for sale page with only authorized vendors where you can take a look at all the kits. There are also several used kits for sale RIGHT NOW by individuals, check them out. There will be pics and list of specs.

Turbos are just as customizable as anything else. You can have an inter- or non-intercooled system, blow-off or bypass valve, any # of different turbos, and different turbines in each, with or without an exhaust system, with or without engine management....
basically asking "what comes in turbos, what's out there" is like asking "Tell me about CARS." lol

That said, look through the for sale pages for what they have, and visit the sites of the respective manufacturers.
-Blynzoo

Hey, so in cali if you have a visual inspection and you have a turbo on your car are you already disqualified? How often is the visual inspection needed if at all? How about if you pass emissions, but you still have the turbo and they visually check it....are you still ******?

digitalpro5 said:
Hey, so in cali if you have a visual inspection and you have a turbo on your car are you already disqualified? How often is the visual inspection needed if at all? How about if you pass emissions, but you still have the turbo and they visually check it....are you still ******?
yep they will fail you with a turbo kit on, but you can always find a "hook up smog" for around $200-250

ShakeThis said:
what does a turbo kit usually come with?

does it usually have all that the hi boost kit comes with?
The only kit with a real Fuel Management system included with the price is ours.

All others offer it as an option.

$3,600.00 with everything including a stand alone Fuel Management System that works parallel with the stock ECU.

in FL it doesnt matter... we dont have emissions. I have a complete kit for sale in FL if your interested.

The three major kits are MAM, Hiboost, and BEGI...

FC3s Boy said:
yep they will fail you with a turbo kit on, but you can always find a "hook up smog" for around $200-250
That is not all true.
GReddy makes STREET LEGAL turbo kits. My buddy has one on his Integra LS. Yeah, they don't make them for a Protege, but I'm just clarifying tha fact that you are not automatically disqualified. And did you forget about the Mazdaspeed turbo setup? You could do a complete swap and be perfectly street legal.
As far as how often you need the smog/visuale done, it's every three years for new/newer cars. This January was the second full year I've had my car, and I did not need to get a test done. Just sent in my payment and got my new tags.

umm begi is street legal as well. Carb certified. In FL it doesnt matter though bush decided the money could be better spent else where.

SenorCorwin said:
umm begi is street legal as well. Carb certified. In FL it doesnt matter though bush decided the money could be better spent else where.
this is true. BEGi is the only turbo kit for the protege to retain all stock emissions components and emissions legality

What's the BEGI, Wagner website?

"SenorCorwin: in FL it doesnt matter... we dont have emissions. I have a complete kit for sale in FL if your interested."
- info?

"HiBoost TS:
The only kit with a real Fuel Management system included with the price is ours.

All others offer it as an option.

$3,600.00 with everything including a stand alone Fuel Management System that works parallel with the stock ECU."
- i thought it was, like, 4 thou.

ooh. that's not good either.

never mind me, senorcorwin. i didn't see the link.

well if you have any questions im always help you out. If your seriously interested i have no problems helping a FL boy out.

thats how they sold and its one of the reasons it internally wastegated. It doesnt touch any of the current emissions regulated parts on the car thus it would be emission legal in all 50 states.

SenorCorwin said:
thats how they sold and its one of the reasons it internally wastegated. It doesnt touch any of the current emissions regulated parts on the car thus it would be emission legal in all 50 states.

i posted this somewhere else, but it really pissed me off and i figured you'd all be able to share my - well, pissed off-ness:
i was drivin all over broward county today looking for a spray or vinyl tint for my headlamps and tails. finally find a good spray, and they tell me that it's illegal in florida.

apparently fl law says that everything - everything - aftermarket for appearance purposes is illegal in florida!! WHAT'S THAT CRAP?! apparently, they say it can be distraction to other drivers. I'M SORRY, BUT IF I SEE A FERRARI MODENA DRIVING DOWN COMMERCIAL BLVD. I'M GONNA BE DISTRACTED IF IT'S STOCK OR NOT. :wtf: so i guess a turbo is illegal too, regardless of emissions. (rant)

Last edited:
Back