Help! Need new exhaust...

PSUENGR

:
2003.5 MSP
The crappy stock engine mounts have claimed another exhaust as all of the hanger welds have cracked and my exhaust is sitting on the rear end at the moment.

I will now be buying new front and rear AWR mounts as well as some urethane hangers, but the real question is what exhaust to get?

The offerings I have found so far are from Corksport (best option so far), Greddy, MagnaFlow, & Perrin. Are there any others I'm missing?

I'd like to do a CAT-back system as I don't want the hassle (cops, emission testing, etc.) and will probably sell the car in the next year or so or make it my winter driver. Also, I'd like to keep things pretty low key so a gigantic tip or abnormally loud note would NOT be preferred.

Your recommendations on which exhaust is best and where to buy it would be greatly appreciated as I need to act fast.

Thanks in Advance!

Looks like your in the same boat as me. I am pretty set on the Vibrant turbo back personally. But I orignally wanted the Corksport one but like you don't wannna stick out especially to cops. So saying that would not recomend that due to the large tip and being very loud although it sounds very sexy lol.

I love my Vibrant. Has a cat and isn't too loud.

The corksport exhaust comes with a $200 option for the high-flow cat. Does this replace the stock cat or will I be running without a CAT if I don't purchase it?

In Illinois I have to pass bi-annual emission tests and I definetly don't want to mess with swapping this back and forth to pass the test.

The reason I ask is that I won't buy the CAT (just the silencer) if I don't need it which will make the corksport exhaust about $300 cheaper. Where were you looking to get your Vibrant from? The cheapest I can find is about $750 and I'm not sure that includes shipping.

I'd rather put that $300 towards my 335i coupe fund and at that point, the MSP will become a winter driver and I won't care which exhaust sounds better.

Last edited:
damn that sucks about the bi annual. in illanois do you have to get the exhaust hooked up to a machine thatmeasures it? cuz by me we just need to pass CEL check and thats it with anything newer then 1997. cuz if its just cel check you can even pass with no cats

Well truth be told getting a catless midpipe would be a great option. The stock catback isn't all that bad and flows well. It's the midpipe that clogs things up.
Seeing as your near chicago You take the same IL emmisions test that I do.
They don't check the car for anything but a CEL!!! which is easy to fix with non fouler trick (like I'm using)

They don't check the car for anything but a CEL!!! which is easy to fix with non fouler trick (like I'm using)

Pardon my noob, but I'm not following the lingo. CEL? Update: Brain started working...Check engine light.

Also what is the non-fouler trick?

I remember they hooked up to the OBD2 computer, but I thought I remember them sticking something over the exhasut too. Maybe I'm just remembering from back in the day when I used to take in my old Supra....

Last edited:
just put straight pipe cat back!! lol

Nice. At 30 years old, I've decided that if I want to get noticed in a car I will go out with my buddy. He just bought a red 2002 360 Modena. Not the fastest car, but boy is it fun to drive and that car has a perfect exhaust note with the TUBI he has on it.

Well, since the exhaust fell another 2 or 3 inches between investigating it at lunch and driving to my softball game, the muffler was only 2 inches or so from scraping the ground and had to be broken off. After running straight pipes from the cat back for my 25 mile commute home I am no longer to worried about any of these exhausts being too loud. It actually sounded ok except for the rattling of the j pipe bouncing off the frame at the rear axle....

They stopped connecting to the exhaust about a decade ago. I used to love watching them test my samurai on 33's. They had to get it up to highway speeds which my samurai barely did. It would take it like 10 minutes to build up enough speed to complete the test. Until last year or the year before they were still testing the pre-96 cars that way. Now any car before 96 is emissions exempt and they only do the CEL check now.
here's a link to that non-fouler trick.
It works like a charm I have had no issues for about 3 years.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123634664&highlight=fouler

So it looks like I'm between the Corksport 2.4" (still learning towards this) or the Magna flow. They are about the same price. If someone can find the vibrant for something in the $600 range I might reconsider that one, but I don't want to drop $1k on an exhaust for this car.

Any thoughts?

Depending on how fast you are really going to buy the corksport and what kind of shape your vibrant is in, I'd be interested in buying it off you. We're about 5 hours apart if you wanted to meet somewhere.

Send me a PM & some pics of the exhaust if you are interested.

Back