HELP: Is it worth spending $2,700 on repairs??

mnkyboy

My car has 104,201 miles, purchased new in Dec 2001. Is it worth spending $2,700 on repairs. Long story short, I bought the car new, only had to get a mechanic for radiator service. I change alternator 3 years ago, tires every 2-3 years, oil changes, brakes, and a few other small things.

Here is what I need repaired:

- Timing belt (belt, water pump, gaskets, seals, etc) $769
- A/C recharge $152
- Drivers side window regulator $284
- Front suspension $1,500 (struts, mounts, lower control arm, sway bar link, and wheel alignment)

Total: $2,705.95

The car is worth maybe $3,500-4000 at the most. Ive been very happy with it, would like to keep it for another 2 years if possible. Just not sure if spending $2,700 is smart. Are other problems likely to happen at this age/mileage?

UPDATE:

No repairs done, picked up the car last night.

Here is a details parts list/quote the mechanic gave me

Timing Belt Service - $769.95 (OEM)
Front Struts and Mounts - $581 (KVM)
Sway Bar Links - $252
Lower Control Arms - $658
Complete A/C Recharge - $152
Drive Side Window Regulator - $285 (OEM)
Total: 2,697.95

Last edited:
I would shop around, see if you can get the suspension stuff off here used, and the window regulator too. Theres several part out threads going on in the marketplace right now. And who's quoting you for labour? I got quoted ~$500 for a timing belt, water pump, etc here.

How many miles on the car?

Are these repairs that you know you need or is this what they are telling you that you need?

I would shop around, see if you can get the suspension stuff off here used, and the window regulator too. Theres several part out threads going on in the marketplace right now. And who's quoting you for labour? I got quoted ~$500 for a timing belt, water pump, etc here.

def shop around,

you should be able to get window regulator second hand at least,

as Evil said, how many miles ?

if you do decide to ditch the car, do you have to buy a new one?

The price for the timing belt change isn't bad at all if it includes parts and labour, the window regulator you could buy for MUCH cheaper then that at junkyard and install yourself, the AC recharge isn't bad although you could probably do it elsewhere for cheaper, and you are getting NAILED on the suspension. No way you should spend that much: NAPA links are around 40$/each, quality aftermarket OEM-like LCAs are roughly 100$ each, and OEM-like struts and tops should run you around 200-300$ for both sides. Alignment will be under 100$, and labour should be what, 3hours ish? That's still less then half the quoted price.

Coles Notes, go elsewhere as you are clearly paying for brand new Mazda specific parts which aren't necessary here.

Timing belt/water pump should be closer to $600. That's maybe $300 in parts + 4h of labor or so. It needs to be done at 105,000miles, although plenty of people have gone further than that (but that can be risky). Shop around.

AC recharge costs maybe half that. Shop around.

The window regulator is $61 on rockauto.com and you should be able to install that yourself.

Haha, $1500 for the front suspension--that's ridiculous! You can buy aftermarket parts at rockauto.com and have a mechanic install them. CulRidr has reasonable advice for this.

or maybe you are just trying to get "reasons" to buy a new car........ shop around, all the stuff you have wrong with your car now is minimal compared to the price that you would have to pay for a new car. if your enegine and tran is great..... then i would recommend keeping for as long as you can....

How many miles on the car?

Are these repairs that you know you need or is this what they are telling you that you need?

I asked them to check all of the things listed, since I knew they were issues. The shop told me that the brakes and rotors need to be changed on the rear, which is probably true since I changed them 3 years ago. I can do them myself again.

The front suspension is pretty damn rough, been that way for a year or so, getting worse. I didn't expect it to be $1,500, more like $900-1,000. The A/C doesn't put out that much, I asked them about this. Door regulator cable snapped about 1.5 year ago, motor still works when I press the button.

Regarding the prices:

- Timing belt is OEM parts
- Suspension has KVM struts, not sure about the rest but aftermarket
- Window regulator is OEM

So, I checked the dealership and they want $2,100 to fix the suspension. Dealer wants $1,090 for the timing belt. I called another shop that I was told is good and the guy said he might not be able to beat the estimate, may be about the same he would have to look at it.

So I called the shop back and asked if they could come down on the price. He said he shopped around a bit more for parts, found some control arms for $50 less apiece. Doesn't help much, still more than I would like. $2,000 is the most I was expecting to pay for all these repairs.

On top of the above, I need new brakes and rotors that I can replace myself easily. I also need new tires, so that $400-500. My main worry is at this mileage is the car going to be a money pit. I dont mind spending the money if I can use the car another 1-1.5 years. I know nobody has a crystal ball that tells the future but what else can I expect to have to fix at this mileage and age?

One last thing, how hard is it to change this stuff myself? Struts, control arms, mounts, and sway bar links? Do I need special equipment?

First, its definitely cheaper to get the parts yourself either at local auto store or online at rockauto.com even if you have the mechanic put it in for you later. Second, ask around the forum. There might be someone local to you who will do it for you for alot cheaper than the local mechanic. There are many auto technician, including myself who use this forum. Third, if your mechanically inclined then give it a shot. Just need basic wrenches, ratchet and sockets. Special tools would be a strut spring compressor but can be bought for $50 or less at sears or any other auto store and a pickle fork set which should cost about the same. Also need a big hammer, like 8lb. There are some how to guides on here for brakes, timing belt, etc. Recharge the a/c yourself. Just buy a can of freon at store with the gauge attached. Follow directions on can, really simple. Also feel free to message me if any help is needed.

The only problem I see is your going through the dealer... kybgr2 struts are like 50 to 80 bucks a piece off ebay timing belt stuff could be done by a shop if you don't trust your self to do them but I would say you would be getting raped on charges

I am spending $975 an a set of 4 YellowSpeed Coilovers. That price for the front suspension seems too high or he is dropping the subframe to replace the sway bar.

^endlinks dude, not swaybar. There should DEFINITELY be no subframe dropping.
Regarding the pickle fork comment; that's only used for ball joints right? If that is correct, then that's not an issue here since he would be removing the entire assembly unless there is something I am forgetting about the removal?

I am spending $975 an a set of 4 YellowSpeed Coilovers. That price for the front suspension seems too high or he is dropping the subframe to replace the sway bar.

Yep, they are replacing the sway bars.

I picked up my car last night, didnt get any repairs done yet. Plan on weighing my options, calling a couple more shops today and tomorrow, also test driving a couple of cars Ive been eyeing, the MazdaSpeed3, Volvo C30, and VW R32 or GTI.

Here is the list of parts quote per the mechanic. I updated the OP.

Timing Belt Service - $769.95
Front Struts and Mounts - $581
Sway Bar Links - $252
Lower Control Arms - $658
Complete A/C Recharge - $152
Drive Side Window Regulator - $285

how many miles on the car?

104,201 to be exact.

Question: Which of the above is "easy" enough for me to do myself? I am mechanically inclined but it does take me longer to do jobs since Im self taught (online and service manuals). Ive replaced the brakes, alternator, oil changes, audio receiver, and transmission flush myself. Is the A/C recharge simply buying a can of refrigerant from AutoZone and charging the A/C? I thought you had to have a license to buy refrigerant?? Is the Autozone stuff not as strong?

Last edited:
OK, so are you or are you not getting the swaybars replaced? You've mentioned the sway bar LINKS, but there is NO reason to replace the swaybar unless it's physically broken.

I don't know about the US, but in Canada, you need to be certified to deal with A/C stuff.

As for your prices: timing belt, if including the labour, is quite reasonable. You are clearly buying OEM LCAs because you can get some rebuilt ones for 100$ each (less then that and your ball joints would be uber cheap and break again). You can get a full set of Tokico blues and lowering springs for that price: get KYB struts and other aftermarket top hats and bet done with it for a third of the price, or even better, just get Monroe "drop-ins" for about half that price and have all new everything for half the price. I've put my other thoughts forward regarding the rest of the prices.

Struts are easy, as are swaybar links (just have a grinder ready :p), never done LCAs but that shouldn't be TOO hard if you follow instructions and have the proper tools. Make sure to get an alignment after though.

Last edited:
OK, so are you or are you not getting the swaybars replaced? You've mentioned the sway bar LINKS, but there is NO reason to replace the swaybar unless it's physically broken.

I don't know about the US, but in Canada, you need to be certified to deal with A/C stuff.

As for your prices: timing belt, if including the labour, is quite reasonable. You are clearly buying OEM LCAs because you can get some rebuilt ones for 100$ each (less then that and your ball joints would be uber cheap and break again). You can get a full set of Tokico blues and lowering springs for that price: get KYB struts and other aftermarket top hats and bet done with it for a third of the price, or even better, just get Monroe "drop-ins" for about half that price and have all new everything for half the price. I've put my other thoughts forward regarding the rest of the prices.

Struts are easy, as are swaybar links (just have a grinder ready :p), never done LCAs but that shouldn't be TOO hard if you follow instructions and have the proper tools. Make sure to get an alignment after though.

Sorry, I guess it is just the swaybar links. ;)

Back