help how to program a new kew

lancekik

Hi
I have 2 advanced keys for my CX-7
I wanted a flip key, so i bought one on ebay

He cut it fine and the doors work, but it wont turn the ignition
does anyone know how to program so it will start the car when I insert it, and so the remote dooor and alarm buttons will work as well

Thank alot
Lance

I am not sure that the key will start the car, theoretically it should, but who knows?

Here's how to program additional keys, per my Workshop Manual (use at your own risk).. this procedure is for ADVANCED key system:

You will need 3 keys for programming - 2 originals (Key 1 and Key 2) and the new, unprogrammed Key 3.

1. Prepare key 3 for programming
2. Start the engine using key 1
3. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3 secs, and then goes out
4. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK position
5. Using key 1, turn ignition switch to ON position
6. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3 secs, then goes out
7. Using key 1, turn ignition to LOCK position within approx. 4 secs after the security light goes off
8. Remove key 1
9. Repear steps 2 - 5 using key 2 instead of key 1
10. Repeat steps 5 - 8 using key 3 instead of key 1

Note that the procedure for cars with REGULAR keyless entry is slightly different and I have no idea which one you'd use in your case. It goes as follows:

1. Prepare key 3 for programming
2. Using key 1, turn ignition to ON position
3. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3 secs, and then goes
4. Using key 1, turn ignition to LOCK position within approx. 4 secs after the security light goes off
5. Remove key 1
6. Repear steps 2 - 5 using key 2
7. Repeat steps 2 - 5 using key 3

To program the door lock/unlock and panic buttons, the procedure is too complex to describe - it's a one-page flowchart. I'm not sure I wanna post that, as it's probably copyrighted material.

Of course, why on Earth you'd want or need a flip key when you can just push a door button, without ever reaching into your pocket, is kinda beyond me but hey, to each his own ;)

Last edited:
lancekik said:
Hi
I have 2 advanced keys for my CX-7
I wanted a flip key, so i bought one on ebay

He cut it fine and the doors work, but it wont turn the ignition
does anyone know how to program so it will start the car when I insert it, and so the remote dooor and alarm buttons will work as well

Thank alot
Lance

Lance, I don't see a reason why you would want a flip key. The advance keyless is priceless...you don't have to fumble for your keys nor reach it from your pocket. You paid for this option so use it

thanks

Hi
thanks 4 the info Ill try it this weekend

I want the key fob because I like to open the sunroof and widows as I approch the car. the advance key button usually disconects or something and dosent open them all the way. plus I like to have my house keys on a key chain with my car keys and the advance key dosent quite fit right.
I figure I would leave the advance key in the car and It will deactivate untill the car is opened with a proper key signal, so i could still use the advanced functions once inside.

DON"T EVER LEAVE THE ADVANCE KEY IN THE CAR. You'll just be inviting thieves to steal the car, seriously. The doors can be easily open as long as the advance key is inside by just pushing the button so don't do it.

You can open the sunroof and windows by pressing the lock/unlock together for at least 3 seconds. My advance key is attached to the house keys and is not a problem.

I have a sport, so no flip key. But I have to say I love when I'm walking to my car, pull out my keys and flip open my key then throw it in the ignition. It gives it a little more "zoom-zoom" feeling.
Anybody agree?

haha But I am very jealous of those of you with the keyless system!! I've my CX-7 for 6 months and I cant count the number of times I've lost my keys! :-D lol

Shaz said:
DON"T EVER LEAVE THE ADVANCE KEY IN THE CAR. You'll just be inviting thieves to steal the car, seriously. The doors can be easily open as long as the advance key is inside by just pushing the button so don't do it.

actualy when you leave an advance key in the car and lock it. the car deactivates that key and it wont let you use the button un less you have the other advace key in your pocket. So it is safe, but still worrysome, I was just playing with the idea. Ill probally keep it in my wallet, but with the flip key I wont have to worry about breaking it when i sit. I used to keep it in my shirt pocket, till it almost fell in the tiolet as I flushed. hit the rim and bounced to the floor. :>

I only have one of the original keys and the new spare. Is their a way around getting the spare programmed?

I programmed both my Speed3 and CX-7 (switchblade key) with this instructions below. Obviously you'll have to cut your new key first.

copied this from another forum...

Items needed:
1. 2 pre-programmed transponder keys.
2. 1 new transponder key

The timing is critical to this procedure, please read through the entire procedure before attempting.
Procedure:
1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one second (I wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extiinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and urn the ignition to "on" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.

If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid key. Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again.

I STRONGLY suggest that EVERYONE go out and get at least one spare key made & prorgammed for their 3. If you lose one of your two original keys and don't have a spare you won't be able to make any new keys (as you need to prorgammend keys to program more) and will need to go to the dealer and have them re-program the ECU.

Last edited:
reprogram key fob

Otto and/or Batman,
I have a 2007 cx-7. My keys are the switchblade type. Suddenly my remote stopped working. I assumed it was the battery, so I got out the "new" fob. Neither of them work, and it's not the battery. Will either of the procedures you posted work for keys that are not new? I don't have new keys, just original ones that stopped working.
Thanks.

This is how you program your remote. I've done this for my Speed3 and the CX-7.
You can only program up to 3 remotes. When you do this, it will wipe out all your existing remotes so you will need to program all your remotes at the same time.

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

Otto and/or Batman,
I have a 2007 cx-7. My keys are the switchblade type. Suddenly my remote stopped working. I assumed it was the battery, so I got out the "new" fob. Neither of them work, and it's not the battery. Will either of the procedures you posted work for keys that are not new? I don't have new keys, just original ones that stopped working.
Thanks.

When you say fob... do you mean the key or the remote? Your keys(fob chip) will still start the car right? Just your remotes are not working? If just the remote, follow the steps above.

Do I have to stand on one foot and pat my head, too?

How do the manufacturers think up these inane procedures??? (rofl)

You can only program up to 3 remotes. When you do this, it will wipe out all your existing remotes so you will need to program all your remotes at the same time.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

OK Batman, you've confused me. What is the difference between these instructions, and the instructions you posted in post #9? I have my two original switchblade keys and I want to make a 3rd, what do I do?

OK Batman, you've confused me. What is the difference between these instructions, and the instructions you posted in post #9? I have my two original switchblade keys and I want to make a 3rd, what do I do?

#9 is for the key (the chip fob) itself.
#11 is for the remote.

So, the switchblade has both key and remote. You will have to do both for you new switchblade key.

Last edited:
I just purchased a used 2007 cx-7 that only came with one switchblade key/remote. I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get a spare as the dealer wants to charge about $360 (!?!). I have a new uncut key/remote coming from ebay. I understand how to program the remote, but I am concerned about programming the key as I only have one of the originals... am I destined to go to the dealer???

The dealership near my house (the only one within 90 miles) quoted me $240 for the part and then whatever the service department charges to program... probably another $75.

Key

So to avoid this happening to me, it would be a good decision to order a 3rd blank key from Ebay and have it cut and then program it myself. This way, if I lose 1, I still have 2. I'm assuming it just needs to be a transponder key but bot necessarily a flip key. Correct?

Hi, I'm new and will probably be asking a redundant question, but here goes. I purchased the switch-blade style key/key fob on eBay for my 2010 CX7 and have since figured out how to program the fob part, so it locks/unlocks the doors now (like my original), BUT after getting the key cut on the replacement, it won't turn when put into the ignition. I'm guessing there's a chip in the head of the fob and I'm just trying to save some dinero by NOT taking it to the dealership. I've read a few posts on here about programming the key so it'll start the car, but they all seem to say I have to have 3 original keys. I only have ONE original key. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Back