Help diagnose my car starting issue

max621

I have intermittent issues starting my 07 MSP. I turn the key to start and absolutely nothing happens from the starter. There is no crank attempt, there is no whine, nothing, just the sound of some relays in the engine bay.

I am 99% sure it is the starter, but I have brought it to a mechanic and they were unable to reproduce the issue (of course) even after trying it many times, driving it around, letting it sit, etc. They did a load test and the starter passed. Battery is brand new and passed their test as well (first time it happened I thought my battery was dead. Imagine my disappointment after replacing my battery in freezing wind that nothing had improved). I've replaced the ignition relay in the fuse box as well when I switched batteries.

Based on reading around, it sounds like the starter may have a flat spot. Experience from push starting the car backs this up:

- One time I had a friend pushing me and I dumped the clutch and nothing happened. I turned the key to start, and the car started right up.
- Similarly, last week it wouldn't turn while parallel parked and I only had a (strong) female to help me push. I ended up pushing the car forward as much as we could, and then I threw it into rear and let the car roll back into the parking spot, and as I gained a bit of speed I let out the clutch. Once I stopped, I turned the key to start and the car started right up.
- Tonight same deal. Turn key, no life from starter. Had a couple of guys push me, but we didn't get much speed because the summer tires + wheels have amazing rolling resistance. I dumped the clutch to unstick the starter, the car gave a very minor sputter as if it was going to start. I then turned the key to start and it started without an issue.

Lot's of times when I am starting the car normally it cranks and sounds almost like it won't start just before the engine catches.

So, does anyone think this could be anything besides a flat spot on the starter? I think I need to replace it. The car just rolled over 70k.

hmmm sounds like a neutral switch might be going bad....or possibly a bad release bearing assembly. JUST my 2 cents.

Might check your "clutch In" relay connection at the starter, white plastic coverd female connector, it's been two Springs in a row car wouldn't start sporadically, take it of, clean inside connector(used an xacto blade and contact cleaner) and the male end (sand paper/small wire brush), crimp the connector with some needle nose a little and see if that doesn't help.

I can try that. I have a clutch switch bypass by the way but it appears to be connected solidly and the push start wouldn't make the bypass suddenly work any better.

Starter relay wire...... This is most likely your problem or atleast something to check when you have a starter problems. If you say that sometimes the starter does nothing that would sound to me that its NOT missing teeth on the start or flywheel and something electric. Take that wire off the starter with the white end and make sure its getting a good connection. The next time your car dont start have someone under the front of the car to wiggle that wire on the starter and I bet it will start right up.. If this all checks out ok you need to look into your relay.

Back