Help changing alt/water pump and ac/fan belts (bracket bolt won't budge)

SocialStealth

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES, 120k miles
My alternator belt broke while I was driving. I have every bolt loosened, except the bolt that holds the one pully on the tension bracket thing..
The bolt seems to be seized, soaking it in PB blast doesn't seem to be helping. I was able to get a good hold on the bolt with a wrench, but it just strips and doesnt turn..
I can't seem to loosen the pully (tried moving it with a crowbar, just moves the engine and nothing budges)

Any advice on how to get my new alternator and AC/fan belts on :\

Here is the seized/stripped bolt that I'm talking about:
mc7ub7.jpg

2iht7gh.jpg

And there is some thread from the broken belt stuck on the pully, any advice on getting it off there?
ix78t4.jpg

That doesn't look right to me. Are you sure it's the right bolt? I haven't done this in a while, but it looks like that might be the bolt that holds the bracket, not the one that adjusts. Not trying to give you false hope, it's just hard to tell from the angle on the pics.

http://www.floptical.net/mazda/service_web/01-10b.PDF
Look at page 3...it looks like you're trying to turn the bolt right next to the arrow rather than the one to the left of it.

Wrong bolt my friend
the tension bolt for the power steering pump is towards the front of the motor

Disregard the red arrow... you only need to loosen that bolt if you are removing the power steering completely
step3a.JPG

the bolt towards the right of the arrow(the one out of focus) is the one you should be adjusting

Last edited:
He's talking about the Alternator belt, not the PS.

He is trying to replace both belts. And if you look at the picture he is clearly trying to loosen the PS pully. Besides the alternator is no different. The tension bolt is towards the rear of the engine.

You're right...I was having trouble visualizing the engine. This is the wrong bolt to turn, anyway. OP: You should refer to the picture in post 3 and the link to the service manual I provided. It should clear things up.

That link just isn't loading for me :\
But my dad bought some type of gun barrel type wrench for stripped bolts, and it came right off. After I loosened the bolt, it was easy to move the pully.

As I understand it, the tension bolt -should- make the bolt that I was trying to loosen (the bolt in the bracket that just holds the tension bolt), move up and down the bracket. However, that just wasn't happening.. The bolt seemed to be stuck in place and adjusting the tension bolt wasn't doing anything.

But anyway, I loosened the bolt that holds the bracket, and it was then nice and movable. I got both belts on. They seem to be working great. No squeaks. Are there any tips for knowing if its over tightened or not?

Back