Heel Whop

jowens727

:
03 Red MP5 - Sold
So my wheel hop issue wasnt fixed by the front mount like i was hoping.
Anyone have a few things i should check.. ie cheapest solutions to try first.
Its the front right wheel thats doing it... it happens under mild acceleration until the clutch is fully engaged... and i notice a bit when taking an on ramp quickly

My thoughts on the issue:
Bad struts
Bad strut mount
Warped clutch plate
bent axel
spring not seated properly
other motor mounts

Anyone had a similar issue and could lead me in the right/cheapest direction?

Thanks for the help!

Lower it, the higher the spring rate the better, LSD, Better tires. It's FWD, there's no solution. They all do it, sorry.

i put in an insert on the front mount and it reduced the wheel hope by at least 50%
by far the cheapest and easiest thing you can do

LSD dood. These trannies arent that great at handling stress like that either. I would learn to use that clutch a little better or you're gonna have more problems than a hopping passanger side....

I guess i should have specified... im not talking about a little hop when i gun it from a light.... more like if im on a slight incline at a light.... just taking off easy will make it slam around...

ill check the mount today but im not sure if ill be able to tell if its bad or not.. should it be directly in the center of the mount on level ground? any other way to check it without removing it?

i was gonna order the rear mount and tackle that first since its cheaper.. even though im sure itll be a pita

Look for tears in the engine mount rubber. The passenger side engine mount is infinitely easier to replace than the rear mount. The rear mount is buried deep in the engine bay.

wow... so its definetly at least partially cause by the passenger mount!!! i took some video so you guys can see :D
So gotta order that... question is... do i need to order the other 2
Already have a new front mount... but i took some video of the other two so maybe you guys can tell if they need it too
I hate to do the rear but i dont wanna run the risk of wearing out the new ones if i dont replace them.

Heres the one of the passenger mount

and heres the other two... first is the rear and then comes the tranny mount....

Last edited:
I guess i should have specified... im not talking about a little hop when i gun it from a light.... more like if im on a slight incline at a light.... just taking off easy will make it slam around...

ill check the mount today but im not sure if ill be able to tell if its bad or not.. should it be directly in the center of the mount on level ground? any other way to check it without removing it?

i was gonna order the rear mount and tackle that first since its cheaper.. even though im sure itll be a pita

^^ OOOh ok. The motor mounts look terrible in your vids. they also have kits for front and rear with side inserts. decently priced

yea, those are toast.
my passenger side one was like that and installed the awr inserts and have no isuues at all. i also have the front awr mount. with the suspension mods and these mount inserts and front mount, i cant remember the last time i had whel hop.

What's the price and difficulty comparison between inserts and full mounts. Also what's the part life difference?

88 duro is really stiff for a street car but solid mounts are one of the best mods you can do to a Protege. Your wheelhop will be gone, the passenger and front motor mounts are the first to go.

i was so back and fourth about what duro to go with... every has their opinions on what is too much vibration.. but i figure its been so bad from having bad mounts... could it really be that much worse? haha dear lord i hope not... :p

I have an 88 duro front mount and it vibrates fairly alot. Mostly just at idle. if youve got a manual, it'll make shifts a little smoother and it'll increase cabin noise from the engine. Which i kinda liked, it makes it sound a little better when you hammer it. You will need to pinpoint interior rattles or else you WILL die.

haha... yeah im begining to find more and more of those.. the biggest was the middle seat's seatbelt that i never use... it was sitting on the plastic trim in the trunk and i didnt realize thats where most of the noise was coming from :p

I have 88 duro mounts all around. Lots of vibration at idle and lots of things rattle but much better once car is moving. A lot more engine noise comes into the cabin though. I love it but some people may not.

I think ill do a how-to with pics on all these just to help everyone go for it... I'm about to tackle that and replacing all bushings on the shifter linkage

ill let ya know how it goes when i get them all in

Back