Heating - A New Years Eve Story by Alejo_NIN

Alejo_NIN

:
RadonElement.Com
ok, so...
i'm a member of the EGR-LESS club and thus i don't have an EGR pipe therefore a plug was used where the egr conencts to the exhaust manifold...
being the ghetto i am, the thing came off on the highway(friday)...it made so much noise...biggest exhaust leak ever...
when i stopped, i found the plug chillin where the clutch slave cylinder is...
it was blazing hot
i went home driving wihtout the plug in...
waited till the motor cooled down and installed plug....fixed...NO!

next day (saturday), comming from the mall at 7 pm, the plug came off on the highway again, but this time i heard it under the car..so bye-bye plug...

kept driving it like that thinking "tomorrow i'll go to home depot and find a new plug" WRONG...

the car overheated....o stopped...and found out that the coolant overflow tank had splitted in half!! i was like "WTF?"
it hat no water in it ofcourse...let it sit for 10 mins then started again i drove home..iw as 5 mins away....

went to sleep....

next day (sunday 31st) i went to disocunt autoparts looking for a plug..i ad no isea what to get so i just guessed....a 1/2" copper plug...
tried it, but it didn't fit..the thread had gotten ****** up...
next, 2 hrs later i go to home depot...
i buy me another 1/2" copper plug and a 1/2" galvanized steel plug..

since the copper plug was exactly the same as the one i had bought at autozone, i tried the galvanized one first....it worked...i tighened it as best as i could...problem fix...
now, i go home.car over heats again

thinking is the coolant tank, i buy some plastic piece of s*** glue..it didn't work...on the first overheat..the stupid thing split open again
i leave...
i go downtown and the car keeps overheating...i say..****!
is new years eve and i can't drive my car....

it overheated over 20 times...

next...new years day..(monday, 1)
i'm thinking now i'm fuked...nothing is gonna be open...to my surpise..autozone is open...i hit it and buy a radiator cap thinking my was ****** up

it fixed the problem..until i hit the highway..it overheated once again..then 2 more times before i got home

i say...last resort...i'll change the stupid thermostat...but i don't think the thermostat is bad..
hit autozone again...luckyli...even tho i mentioned it was a MAZDASPEED (we know they never have any parts for our cars) they say they have 2..prolly they reused the same model of thermostat for another car...thnk god!
i buy it..i installed it..and if it didn't work, i was gonna beat the s*** out of the car until the engine blew!

tada...it ******* worked!

gosh...i'm just hoping tomorrow it won't do it again..

the moral of this story is: don't take shortcuts...everytime your car overheats...just change everyhting coolant related...
1) coolant (50/50)
2)radiator cap
3)thermostat (you don't need a gasket!!)

and save yourself from ruining your new years eve...

i was home alone when it hit 12pm...sad but true

pm me for a time refound if you think you wasted your time reading this

pm sent...

j/k..

that really sucks man. I'm glad you got it fixed though.

our thermostats are dirt cheap brand new from onlinemazdaparts.com. I'm considering buying one just to have in case I ever need it. I'm at 78k miles right now and everything has held up.

PM sent, LOL. $25 bucks will get you taken care of with the parts so if you have a problem with it over heating it's worth it. I've been thinking to mysef that I need to change my thermostate as well, looking for a 160 deg. thermostate. Anyone replace the stocker for a lower one yet?

orng1 said:
PM sent, LOL. $25 bucks will get you taken care of with the parts so if you have a problem with it over heating it's worth it. I've been thinking to mysef that I need to change my thermostate as well, looking for a 160 deg. thermostate. Anyone replace the stocker for a lower one yet?

I think Protegegarage.com might have the low-temp Mazdaspeed thermostat on there, just did a quick check and couldn't find them.

bah
i used a cheap one

no need to lower temps
is just like 10 degrees colder than what i have now

the one i'm using is 180F
the colder one is 170F
and the stock one is 179.6F

also, the radiator cap is at 16PSI or 1.1 bar
changed to another one which is also 16 PSI or 1.1 bar

there is another one which is 1.3 bar or 18.86 PSI

FYI...changing the temp. of your thermostat murders fuel economy and screws up AFR's. Do you have any links that reference this as being a good idea? I've had to fix cars who's owners chose to do so but it was 20+ degrees in variation....

Cripes, is it thread revival night or what?

FYI...changing the temp. of your thermostat murders fuel economy and screws up AFR's. Do you have any links that reference this as being a good idea?

Burden of proof is on the skeptic. You got any that reference it as being a bad idea?

I've had to fix cars who's owners chose to do so but it was 20+ degrees in variation....

What?

Think about the closed loop/open loop transition and the changes your pcm makes when it sees your engine has reached temp. The pertinence of various inputs from sensors changes accordingly as well in accordance to how the pcm has been tuned @ operating temp and cold start. It causes more extreme fluctuations in rich/lean conditions thus putting more stress on the engine. More importantly is why in the hell would our cars come w/ thermostats if the temp didn't matter. My reference is from MODERN AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY ....I don't know what edition it is but is has the red viper or corvette on the front. Sorry I don't have the book anymore and can't give you an accurate apa citation from the text

Back