Heads up to everyone in the Westminster Area

PBW_Pro5

:
2003 Protege 5
My wife had the P5 on 140 at 97 and got pulled over for the exhaust. He told her that they are cracking down on exhaust. They have been have alot of complaints lately about the noise.
It a $60 fine, but no inspection or check needed. I'm not sure who pulled her over but I'm thinking it wasn't the state police, wouldn't they make me stop by the barricks and have it checked to make sure I fixed the problem?

was it a fix it ticket? or are they just handing out violations now? fix it tickets usally have no fine and u gotta go show them it was fixed....... for instance, tag tickets aint fix it...they just fine u and its ur business if u wanna fix it....or theyll just get u again later

no fix it just a fine.

I should put in a complaint, the police depts. are profileing. I wonder how many muscle style cars have they gotten. I would bet 0, this time of year there isn't many on the road. I wonder why they are doing it now???
Even if it was summer time, they still would not be pulling them over, after all they sound "good". I'm not talking just about classics, how many vets and vipers do you see in Westminster in the summer time. I see quite a few and at least half of them don't have OEM exhaust. I wonder if we could get a rerport on the types of vehicles they pulled over thru this "crack down".
sorry just venting

should still be able to go to court for the fine......unless they sayin any replacement exhaust is illegal??? if its a sound violation u can fight it....did he do a decibel test? etc etc

Did he gun her with a DB meter ? I dont know what the exact law is there, but in Pa if they dont get an ACCURATE reading of your Db's you can fight it. :D

boostisgood said:
Did he gun her with a DB meter ? I dont know what the exact law is there, but in Pa if they dont get an ACCURATE reading of your Db's you can fight it. :D
thats what i just asked him...he said the cop just gave a ticket fine.....thats bs.....md law requires a db meter reading before u can be fined for a sound violation......not like tag violations where they can see u have no front tag or it snot where it should be........cops aint superman or human db meters lol

haha cool. Another reason to rip the protege apart. I'll be I won't get a ticket in the woody though, even though it way louder than the P5.

Might be the reason the trooper spun around like he was shot at the Wawa the other night when I pulled in with the woody.

The amusing thing is your muffler is a factory option. NO WAY could that be deemed illegal....(in theory)

I wanted to add that I was stopped by state police a few weeks ago in Sykesville.

I was doing 49 in a 50 on Whiterock and the trooper passed me in the other direction, jammed on the e-brake, and then came flying up behind me like I was a wanted man. He first said "do you know how fast you were going?" So I said 49 in a 50. He hesitated for a second, then asked, "well, is that the stock exhaust?" I told him it was stock on the Protege MP3 and emissions legal in all 50 states. He started to walk back to his car, then came back and said, "the reason I pulled you over is your license plate light is out." I asked him, "So you're telling me that both license plate lights are out?" "No, just the one on the left. Get it fixed before you cause an accident."

It took every ounce of my strength not to make a smart-ass comment, but obviously he was profiling me. Be careful in Carroll county, the county gov't contracts policing duties to state troopers, and they love making easy money hiding in residents' driveways to catch speeders.

Lisakay said:
both of my sisters live in Sykesville..

My Dad moved there when he and my Mom separated. They sold the Clarksville house, and my dad has been kicking himself since. The value has gone up 200-300k since. :(

Back