Headlights keep burning out in 2003 protege 5

mrskinnypete

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Hey,

I have a 2003 protege 5. I have had both front low beam headlights burn out 3 times since December. I am 100% sure I am not touching the bulbs when I put them in. I have been buying sylvania silverstar's.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this could be happening?

THnaks
Peter

Yep, totally annoying. I read a thread somewhere that said that if you rev the engin past 3500 rpm before turning on your lights, it will resolve the problem. I've gotten into the habit of "blipping" the throttle when i turn on the car and then turning on the lights.

I've not replaced a bulb in about 7 months or so...

Wow, so, this makes 5-6 different threads saying the exact same thing in the past day.

^^haha...I guess Sylvania Silverstars were just not meant for our cars. I ran them for quite a while in my Jetta with no issues but have had no luck with the P5.

wildo - say what?

The Silverstars are an "overdriven" filament meaning that they're running more power than they really should, hence the shortened life of those bulbs.

i had these silverstars too and they'd burn out on me pretty fast. i suggest going hid, which i will be doing in just a few weeks :) tech one or apexcone FTW.

HIDs are the best choice, if you dont want to upgrade to them just get normal bulbs, dont get silverstars, not worth it with our cars

apexcone makes (or just sells i dunno) a kit called ddm slim or something which is what i got. Amazing price, amazing output. Beautifully engineered and put together product and it comes with an optional lifetime warranty for very cheap that covers absolutely everything.

It would pay for itself in as little as a year if your bulbs really burn out that fast. Honestly, go HID and you will love yourself for it.

yep i got the slimline kit from apexcone/DDM
there have really great light output and they last a long time because they dont just come straight on like normal lights,
they have to warm up for like 10 seconds before they are the brightest they get

and they light up signs and reflectors way down the road
u wont regret getting them, just get 5000 or 6000 not 10K like me
i cant see s*** when its raining haha

Linkee? I am sick n' tired of swapping 'em - but didn't want to go HID...

If ti is cheaper than 4 sets of sylverstar ($80)- i just might do it.

Look at it this way man. You pay 80 dollars today for those and in what, maybe a year, you have to replace at least one or two. Compared to buying an HID kit from a reputable company like apexcone for about 150 and never having to worry about your headlights burning out again.

can you guys post pictures of your HDD slim's

and possible a link to the actual item.

and how was the install for the kit?

there's a couple pics of how they look turned on (mine are 6000K I believe) and the second pic is of one of the two sides.

Install was very easy. plug one end into the other, make sure you put the two stock prongs into the right spot on the HIDs and find place to attach the ballasts inside. Don't use the double sided tape they give you though. Buy some better stuff for cheap.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123677158&highlight=ddm look at the last page for a link

Last edited:
Silverstars + P5 = burnout. I've read several threads on this and experienced it myself.

I went the apexcone ddm route. I had one burn out, and with the pita it is to change out a bulb I just decided to go HID. So far I am loving it!

X

Just get regular oem bulbs, they last a lot longer than silverstars. This is a common problem for P5's though. I'm not really sure why.

Latest posts

Back