Headlight Upgrades

jeffmsp

Contributor
:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
My girlfriend has a 2004 mazda6 2.3 auto with the headlights that have the integrated fogs. I have replaced every bulb and aligned the bulbs abd the lighting is just so dull I dont know what to think. the lenses arent dirty or anything.

i am wondering if someone can recommend an upgrade that isnt that expensive that has worked well for them. I dont really want to buy something off ebay and find out it is crap.

Ideally I dont want to spend more than a hundred bucks but I would imagine that wont get me much.

Ive tried those sylvania and blue light upgrades and they dont really seem to make any worthwhile difference just makes it looks rice. i dont mind it to look rice as long as it actually helps her see better no just a blue light for looks.

as you can tell I dont know much about lights.

thanks. jeff

ok old thread but i finally got around to doing something. got a set of HIDs retrofit into the stock low beam locations. They are a little better but still suck pretty bad. My stock MSP lights still light up the road better. I had em installed by a shop as there is not enough room for a person with large hands in these 6s lol I can barely even get the covers on/off.

Occasionally the lights have a flicker. When you first get in the car there is always a bit of a flicker until I start the car, but then if I am driving for a while i start to get an occasional flicker that lasts until I turn the lights off/on then it seems to disappear or at least flicker less. 95% of the time they are great but occasionally this just happens.

I figured maybe the unit needed better grounding so for each little ballast I added a second ground wire to the ballast and put a heavy gauge battery ground in as well. This seems to have made little to know difference. My next idea was to use the wire which was tapped from the stock harness for the ballasts to be redirected to a proper relay which then powers the ballast. My buddy who knows a bit more about this stuff said that was probably not going to fix the issue.

I am still pretty disappointed with the lighting in this car. If its raining out even with the HIDs those little low beam projector lenses just dont seem like the proper solution I think that if I put the same HID kit into a normal light fixture it would be 10x better. My next idea is to buy another HID kit of the same make and put them where the stock integrated fogs are so that there are 4 HIDs going and figured that might be a bit better. Either that or take the current HIDs out, put em in the integrated fogs and put the stock low beams back.

Either way I am short on money/patience for this little project just looking for an inexpensive solution that is easy.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Back