Header wrap in intake piping

:
Yellow 2003.5 MSP!
Do you think this will insulate the air inside the piping and keep it cooler? Or as header wrap is, does it keep the heat from your engine bay?

Yeah i heard good things about DEI. That price is also really cheap, It's like $70 buck on ebay for that same package!

Lemme ask you guys, do you think I'm going to far with wrapping the intake? ... ehhh, what am i saying, of course I'm not....

They have a lot of stuff to try to cool things down on that website cryo kits water sprayer kits and if iremember right a turbo blanket...

somthing you might want to consider... on a turbo car, you want a cool intake, and any exposed piping is going to help cool the intake air.

you make good point but there are pros and cons to everything, your exposed pipes can release heat better but they can also absorb heat as well. Thats why heat soak is such an issue. Haveing wrapped pipes only makes you deal with the air your bringing in. Best deal would be wrap intake/leave hot pipe exposed wrap cold pipe. what do you think.

I would agree with that. Insulating any pipes is an added "boundry" to cross. (slows down the transition) if you wrap the intake and it become heat soaked, (standing at idle etc.) then it will take longer to cool down since it will be insulated. On the flip side, it would take longer for the intake tubing, to heat up (while at idle etc.).

So yes the best setup would be to let the hot pipes of the turbo radiate out their heat (exposed) and to wrap the cold pipes.

I am taking a heat transfer class this fall, and can comment further after that :)

just so i'm makeing myself clearerer in this post...
intake = turbo inlet pipe
hot pipe = turbo to intercooler
cold pipe = intercooler to manifold

it makes sense, but the materials have to be selected correctly. header wrap is NOT the right material for an intake wrap. you want a blanket somthing-or-other for the intake. also, you want to make sure the intake inlet is located in a cool area, or it will all be for nothing. wrapping the intake might be beneficial.

now, the hot pipe and cold pipe, if you have aluminum versions of these, leave them exposed to help shed as much heat as possible. that is, unless your intercooler is much biggert han it needs to be and your cold pipe is actually flowing with ambient temperature air. of course, you will need a temperature probe to determine this first.

speaking of temperature probes, if you are that serious about this project, you might consider getting an intake air temperature gauge to find out exactly what your air temps in the pipes are, and under what condisitons they occur. but, i'm sure you already knew that ;)

on the flip side, wrapping your intake means crap if you haven't wrapped (or coated) your exhaust side. if your manifold and down-pipe are bare, get them ceramic coated before you focus on the intake side. its meaningless to wrap your intake if the exhaust is radiating a b****-load of heat into the engine bay.

Back