hd radio sound quality

For the stations in my area I notice a big difference in the sound quality when the HD is turned on, especially the AM stations. Even the FM stations are noticeable but that might be because they're only broadcasting 1 or 2 HD channels so its not as compressed.

Yes, the TomTom "does the job" in the same way that a 1963 Trabant 601 Limousine "does the job".

I would respond to your comment, however having seen how you respond, I'll say is a rapid dog is fitting avatar for you.

Last edited:
I would respond to your comment, however having seen how you respond, I'll say is a rapid dog is fitting avatar for you.

Yes, he is a fast runner - but how did you know? I'm surprised you could glean that from an avatar photo of just his head.

I just picked up my CX-5 a week ago, and I am not happy with the HD reception. In the MPLS Metro area and surrounding burbs, the HD stations cut in and out as well as echos. I contacted MazdaUSA and they stated there is no known reception issues and would make note as well as suggested I take it to a dealer. It is annoying when you have a song cranked and it cuts out and then the music blasts back on.

I too live in the Minneapolis area, and have the same issues. 93.7 turns on and off, 92.5, 101.3, 97.1 and the others I have programmed cut in and out, and are delayed in picking up the digital signal. I have also contacted Mazda and they to told me there are no known issues (their staple comment). There is another forum with many other CX5 owners having the same issue, not just this one. When I call Mazda I ask for a case number to ensure my call and concerns are documented. Mazda, it is apparent you have an issue and you skimped out on the audio system quality to save money. Make it right to your customers and fix this issue.

Ugh, I've stopped attempting to listen to HD in Austin as every station has that tinny sound to it. Is there any way to remove the tinny sound of the hd stations?

I've only found that the one HD AM station around here sounds really tinny when it switches on the HD. It gets louder too when it switches to HD. I always hit the HD button to turn it off on that station.

On the FM stations they sound great to me when in HD. But the signal does drop quite a bit. Under small overpasses and other situations it drops and my commute is long enough that the HD signals eventually start fading enough that they just go away.

On the "-2" stations they take a bit of time to find the signal and start playing. On the "-1" stations they don't but that is because they just start out in regular FM and then switch to HD when they find the signal. On the ones around here I can tell when they switch to HD because the sound quality gets much better.

I haven't tried listening to a "-1" HD station for long enough to see what it sounds like when it switches in and out of HD but that sounds like that could be some of the issue that the complaints are about. If it is switching in and out of HD mode I'd think it would get annoying. The "-2" stations just go quiet at that time but with the "-1" it would be cutting back and forth between FM and HD.

Has anyone listened to one of the tinny sounding stations on another HD device? I'm wondering if it is just the way those specific sources sound.

Trevor
Mazda CX5 Accessories

by another hd device do you mean other than a cx-5 radio? Because I've been contemplating going up to the dealership and asking them to let me sit in a couple of other cx-5's to compare. outside of that, no i have no other hd radios

I'm in the Boston area, and the sound quality of HD channels is very good. It does cut back and forth between HD and analog, however that transition is seamless 99% of the time. I was actually VERY surprised by this. No skips, no weird sounds. These comments are based on FM channels, I have not tried it on AM channels.

SiriusXM on the other hand, is absolute crap. The sound quality is worse than MP3 in the mid 1990's when the bitrates were all 128 or lower. This isn't limited to the CX-5 or Mazda. I've rented a few cars lately and the SiriusXM sound is equally crappy. When the trial is gone, there is no way I would renew it. It would be better investment to increase my mobile data plan and stream Pandora via bluetooth on the phone.

by another hd device do you mean other than a cx-5 radio? Because I've been contemplating going up to the dealership and asking them to let me sit in a couple of other cx-5's to compare. outside of that, no i have no other hd radios

Yeah, something like another vehicle or portable HD or HD home receiver. Just to find out if it is the broadcast quality or the tuner.

Typically the HD I listen to sounds as good or better than my MP3s on the USB and I rip all of them at 320 kbps rate.

Last edited:
SiriusXM on the other hand, is absolute crap. The sound quality is worse than MP3 in the mid 1990's when the bitrates were all 128 or lower.

I never activated my trial because it really sounded like the old early days of streaming audio for the little bit it worked on the drive home. I had wondered if it really sounded like that all the time or if something was just off with it at that time.

Thats extremely odd, as on my wifes 2010 f150 she has the factory sirius and hers sounds perfectly fine. Also I kept searching hd stations and it seems some are worse than others. Mostly with it being tinny- or very high, as in the music and vocals seem to go up the octave range in comparison to fm, and I do hear "something" in the high range that reminds me of listening to an old fm stereo out in the boondocks when you pick up the station but know somethings off...dunno can't explain it I just remember that sound from back in the 80's when I was a kid and visiting family. Maybe old reel to reel decks?

Latest posts

Back