Have American CX-5 Owners been Orphaned with infotainment problems?

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
So the 2016 CX-5 looks like its getting the long awaited Mazda3 infotainment system.
The Europeans are getting CX-5 USB/ipod fix upon request. USB module is replaced.
What about America? No fix is offered here. Is Mazda going to orphan US owners?

May just get a CD mount for my Nexus 7 $250 tablet which can hold all my music, Google Maps, etc ...all in one unit. What a concept. Wonder how much the NB1 costs to manufacture, it sure is behind the times.

I think I am going to go that route (cd mount) as I have a spare iPad mini collecting dust.

The current Infotainment in the 2014 Mazda 3 is pure crap...I think they are updating all the head units. Whomever was Mazda's vendor for these units should go out of business.
Never seen such garbage all the way around.

Last edited:
The current Infotainment in the 2014 Mazda 3 is pure crap...I think they are updating all the head units. Whomever was Mazda's vendor for these units should go out of business.
Never seen such garbage all the way around.

Are you referring to the tablet stuck on the dash aesthetics? I would agree that looks bad, but they are copying BMW. It should be in the dash. As far as functionality, all the reviewers have given the Mazda3 infotainment stellar ratings. What is it you do not like?

Honestly, common sense would be to have the guts of a 7" tablet integrated into the dash and running Android. Hook that up to the speakers and a couple of USB ports and you are done. No complicated wiring or SD card 3 feet from the head unit. Pull in to your drive and connect to your WiFi and update when you want, no flakey 3rd party app on a desktop.. Run the media player of your choice, have the best map system around Google Maps and any other apps you may want to run. Just a clean, simple design.

Honestly, common sense would be to have the guts of a 7" tablet integrated into the dash and running Android. Hook that up to the speakers and a couple of USB ports and you are done. No complicated wiring or SD card 3 feet from the head unit. Pull in to your drive and connect to your WiFi and update when you want, no flakey 3rd party app on a desktop.. Run the media player of your choice, have the best map system around Google Maps and any other apps you may want to run. Just a clean, simple design.

Parrot actually does this, well sort of. Close as we have for now, anyway. See down there where you can select car-specific firmware? Unfortunately, this is not for USA vehicles, but I'm super curious to see what would happen if I flashed one of the Mazda firmwares onto my Asteroid Smart.

Back