Hatch Strut replacement: Ball socket has no clip?

MrMook

:
2006 Mazda 5
So I finally ponied up the cash to replace both lift-gate gas struts (we've been holding the hatch open since December). I also replaced the ball-socket bracket on the driver side, since the ball was sheared off when we bought it. What I didn't notice on the old (original) struts is that there is no retainer pin or band that allows you to remove the socket from the ball.

So now I can't remove the remaining strut (passenger side), because it's "permanently" attached to the ball on the hatch. Am I missing something here, or is the gas strut AND the ball socket one piece? How did the original ball even get in there? Is there no way to remove it?

FWIW, the OEM replacements from the dealer have the spring-clip bands that allow you to install/remove them as you would expect.

So I finally ponied up the cash to replace both lift-gate gas struts (we've been holding the hatch open since December). I also replaced the ball-socket bracket on the driver side, since the ball was sheared off when we bought it. What I didn't notice on the old (original) struts is that there is no retainer pin or band that allows you to remove the socket from the ball.

So now I can't remove the remaining strut (passenger side), because it's "permanently" attached to the ball on the hatch. Am I missing something here, or is the gas strut AND the ball socket one piece? How did the original ball even get in there? Is there no way to remove it?

FWIW, the OEM replacements from the dealer have the spring-clip bands that allow you to install/remove them as you would expect.

One side is attached to a mount with two 10mm bolts (I think its 10mm). Most places the strut comes with the mount as well, so replace it too.

the other side is a ball on a mount that is threaded into the hatch. You have to unscrew it.

this link is a mazda 6 but has pictures that will help. Lube will help loosen it up.

http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/rear-liftgate-struts-replacement-22814/

Back