Hard to get into gear when cold??

loserkidwac

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege and 1991 Honda CRX Si
Anyone else having a similar problem...I just replaced (last weekend) the trans fluid with Royal purple which seems to have made the problem a little more apparent...Its only when the car is cold and when the weather is cold that it is bad, I try to shift from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 or down shifting from 4 to 3...and 3 gives me a little grind sometimes...I don't beat the car and the previous owner seemed to take car of it so I have no clue why or what is causing it...any suggestions maybe some new shift bushings? It just seems weird to me since it sonly when the weather is cold out, I originally though it was just the fluid but changing that didn't help....

any suggestions or insight would be great, thanks...Matt

Thicker fluid I am expericeing the same thing. I too have RP in the trans. But once warmed up it runs fine.

nazgul350r said:
Thicker fluid I am expericeing the same thing. I too have RP in the trans. But once warmed up it runs fine.

Yes exactly what happens when it warms up the shifts are perfect acctually noticably alot smooth than previously...I guess I'll have to just take it easy while its cold or maybe add something thicker with the RP...thanks for the input

I just put in the RP stuff and I noticed the same thing. I had the Mazda oil with some Lucas syntetic and it was never this bad. When the RP stuff warms up, it does shift smoother.

ive got the same problem, so what are the suggestions to remedy this. Will changing the bushings aid in this? What fluids would reduce this problem? It only happens when its cold.

Shift_Lost said:
buy an auto?

LMAO!!! (rofl)

I just switched to RP 75w90 and it actually IMPROVED cold shifting (though its still tight) Although I think the previous owner changed fluids because when I drained my trans oil it wasnt dirty WHATSOEVER. It was actually mostly clear... That and I could see where the drain plug had been removed before.

shifter bushing might help a bit... but theres no getting around an already thick fluid thats now 30 degrees, and thicker... Just wait till the trans warms up a lil. I usually rock my shifter in neutral to move some of the fluid around if I have serious issues in 1st and 2nd...

like I said though, it was WORSE before the RP so I dunno...

I ran Mobil 1 for a while and it was pretty rough. I switched to Amsoil and it is better than stock and WAY better than the Mobil 1 with regard to this issue.

I could be COMPLETELY wrong by this, but I was told Mobil 1 75w90 was what was used stock?

Eh, i did a little double clutching today and it seems to work...but now i feel like I'm driving a big rig till it warms up...

I don't know if bushing will honestly help, i think we all are just going to have to wait for the trans to warm up...

Why are you double clutching? The tranny has synchros. That is an old car method of changing gears. If it's cold no matter what fluid it is it will shift rough. Let it warm up and it will be better. Most of all Royal Purple is not what you want to be using.

I use Mobil 1 and do not have any problems with it. Even when I went back to Philly and the car sat in sub-freezing temps for a week still had no problems.

Back