Hard Start in Cold Weather

Mine just flat out would not crank after like 2 hours of highway driving i stopped to get gas and no crank. so i let it sit while my friend was coming to pick me up and decide to crank it once more and fired rite up. I do think that its the weather because it never did this before.

markus3 said:
Hmm, Hey BlkZoomZoom, do you work for Mazda or something? Who is "we" are changing to hotter plugs? Thanks for the info.

Mazda tech/ enthusiast.

I sort of have this problem - it happens on the really cold days. Like this morning it did that but I thought it was normal to have a slow start - especially when it was so cold.

It is normal for the engine to crank slower when it's cold. The battery is working harder, the starter is drawing more amperage and the fluids are more viscous.

Slow cranking isn't really the issue at hand, though. It's... weird cranking. It's hard to describe.

i agree with goldwing. it is wierd starting like the other day my car almost didn't start because it was going so slow. and it doesn't get THAT cold in MD.

mobomelter said:
i agree with goldwing. it is wierd starting like the other day my car almost didn't start because it was going so slow. and it doesn't get THAT cold in MD.

I get the hard to start as well. It is nothing major, just the fuel system is depressurizing overnight, prob faster than it should. I just cycle the key 2 or 3 times when it is really cold to let the fuel pressure build back up again. Then it always starts no problem.

Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but my car started doing this lately and it got worse this morning. It took about 15 minutes to get it started. Probably about 10 or 11 tries before it started. I'll be taking my car to the dealer with the TSB in hand and see what they can find and do for me.

GrayZoom said:
Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but my car started doing this lately and it got worse this morning. It took about 15 minutes to get it started. Probably about 10 or 11 tries before it started. I'll be taking my car to the dealer with the TSB in hand and see what they can find and do for me.

That is very excessive. I really doubt they won't do anything for you. TSB or not.

MightyMouse said:
That is very excessive. I really doubt they won't do anything for you. TSB or not.

Yeah, I'm sure they would do something for me, but I don't want to get the whole line of we couldn't recreate the problem thing. What is funny is that my car has been fine today, but...I was also a bit warmer than it was yesterday. Dunno. I'll have to take it in Friday. I've got school and work all week. :(

There is a TSB on it. If it's any like the ones I have done the fuel pressure drops like a rock after the vehicle is shut off. If that is the case then a fuel pressure test will make it so they don't need to duplicate it.

BlkZoomZoom said:
There is a TSB on it. If it's any like the ones I have done the fuel pressure drops like a rock after the vehicle is shut off. If that is the case then a fuel pressure test will make it so they don't need to duplicate it.

Ah...cool. I'll ask them to do the fuel pressure test. What all would they have to change out if it is that?

Wow, thats a long crank. Sounds like our mazda tech is right about the pump. Mine still does it, but it is different. It fires up just fine, but sputters a bit, and then clears up, all within about 2 seconds. Babavoomvooooom! Hard to explain. Any other news on those hotter plugs? Is it a known fix?

GrayZoom said:
Oh, okay. So the fuel filter should be good then. Not clogged or anything, right?

GrayZoom said:
Oh, okay. So the fuel filter should be good then. Not clogged or anything, right?

Yes. The check valve gets stuck open allowing the fuel to drain back in the tank.

From what I have seen the plugs help out alot. Of course I only get 2-3 cold starts before the customer gets the car back. Haven't had any complaints as of yet.

Sounds to me like a fuel pressure drop (as BlkZoomZoom said). The "whine" you hear when turning the key halfway (to the on position, not start) is the fuel pump starting up. If the pressure drops a shitload, it will take a sec for the pump to build up fuel pressure to the fuel rail again. The cold weather could just be exacerbating the problem (further lowering the pressure, and putting added strain on the fuel pump, if it's really slow). I dont think it's the plugs, guys (and gals.
-Brook

i had this happen to me once. it started like normal and stuttered @ around 1300rpm. it was only -10C at most. and i was garage parked. never had the problem in -15C or -20C...kind of shocked me, but i just passed it off and went along my merry way

SIBalla23 said:
What oil are you guys using? 10w30 or 5w30? 10w30 is better for warmer weather and 5w30 is better for colder weather.

Well, I hope he is using the required 5W20 for all seasons, this is the Mazda3 forum afterall.

Back