Hands-Free Cell Phone Installation

Bako-Dan

Any suggestions for a hands-free cell phone installation for the Mazda3? I'm looking for something that uses a Bluetooth connection with the phone but doesn't require charging (like a Bluetooth headset.)

For handsfree operations, this setup is hard to beat from simplicity's point of view:

HandsFreeCellPhone.jpg

I got this Jabra Bluetooth ear piece for around $20 at Best Buy. I hang it on the cigarette lighter when not in use.

Jabra BT2040

I've only seen installs on two handsfree systems in the 3. One is the parrot CK3100, the other is the myron and davis BT700. Both look pretty spiffy.

The install I saw on the M&D used a wiring harness so there wasn't any need to cut/splice any wires.. the only thing that was irreversible was that the installer cut a hole in the stereo faceplate where it says "multi function...." to run the wire through to the head unit. He ended up selling it to another forum member as apparently the M&D unit has problems with over amping the signal when used with the bose system. Works fine in the regular one.

From what I understand of the parrot it involves a little bit of wire cutting unless you splurge for a harness.

I've only seen installs on two handsfree systems in the 3. One is the parrot CK3100, the other is the myron and davis BT700. Both look pretty spiffy.
Thanks for the reply icspots. California is going to mandatory hands-free cell phone use in cars starting in July, 2009. I've got to start planning for all 3 vehicles.

The install I saw on the M&D used a wiring harness so there wasn't any need to cut/splice any wires.. the only thing that was irreversible was that the installer cut a hole in the stereo faceplate where it says "multi function...." to run the wire through to the head unit. He ended up selling it to another forum member as apparently the M&D unit has problems with over amping the signal when used with the bose system. Works fine in the regular one.

From what I understand of the parrot it involves a little bit of wire cutting unless you splurge for a harness.
Both of these look pretty cool. The Parrot is a little cheaper. I have no problem cutting wires as long as I can get a wiring diagram or pin-out diagram. Thanks again. I gotta believe more posters will be going this direction soon as our "nanny-state" government doles out more legislation on this issue.

my brother just installed my parrot bluetooth. I got the 3200 and its great. it took him all of 1.5-2 hours to install (he does this for a living thought). I would highly recomend it

I was the one that purchased the M&D unit from the other forum member. Worked great, but I just traded my 3 in for a speed 3 and switched to a Parrot system (as you said, the M&D won't work with the BOSE system.) I will be putting the M&D up for sale pretty quick here and it will include the faceplate so who ever installs it won't have to cut a hole in theirs.

my brother just installed my parrot bluetooth. I got the 3200 and its great. it took him all of 1.5-2 hours to install (he does this for a living thought). I would highly recomend it

Do have pictures of where he put the external unit? I have mine installed but am not entirely happy with where I ended up mounting the external unit and am looking for ideas.

After seeing your pictures elsewhere I initially tried to put it in the same place. I didn't like it because it made the seem between face plates where the wire comes out noticeably mismatched (at least on mine with the piano black.) My next thought was to use the empty switch plate in the bay where the headlight angle adjust roller is to feed the wire through and place the 3200 above that bay. Problem is the plug is so large it won't fit through the hole that is behind the cover. I may end up drilling that hole out to make it larger as I think that would be the optimal spot for me to put it.

It does make the seem mismatched, but on mine you can't tell unless you touch your finger along the bottom, I guess its harder to see with the gray non-reflective surface. So you got the 3200? I love mine so far, except that it activates a call when I am listening to howerd stern. This can be remedied by picking an unusual word to activate the device instead of saying phone. Post pics when your done, I may end up moving mine.

Back