Guide for fitting gear stick gaiter?

neon1024

:
2009 Mazda 2 Sport
Does anyone have a guide on how to replace the gear stick gaiter leather? I have bought a new one but would like a little guidance before pulling all the panels off the car!

I tried a search, but didn't turn up anything, so apologies if it's already been posted.

Ta

I think there is screws holding it down. But i could be wrong. They are hidden by the plastic side covers and those are held on by snaps.

I have taken mine off a bunch. You just unscrew the knob. Simple lefty loosy, righty tighty there. Then you need to get the top plastic piece off of where the shifter is. You can see where the top plastic piece which mounts the shifter boot meets the plastic in the dash. It is about 2" below from where the boot mounts. Just use a flat head to get behind it where it is close to the dash then pry them apart. It will pop out, and you just lift it up to release the part which is furthest from the dash. Then there are I think 4 screws on the inside which mount the boot to it. Pretty simple really.

I couldn't figure this one out the other day. I got the side panels off in the footwells, and removed the screws holding the centre console on, but it didn't want to move. Bit stuck really as I don't want to go breaking bits by pulling them off.

You don't need to remove any of that to get the top of the top off. The top which mounts the boot for the shifter is it's own piece. You just pull it off the top of the console from the back and rotate it forward. The rest stays in place. Usually using a flat head screw driver helps to get the back started.

Here are some picture that might help. I was out in the 2 today during lunch and snapped these photos. It shows how it all comes apart. Mine you can just pull from around the shifter and it comes up, but I think that it because I have taken it off a number of times.

shifter.jpg
shifter2.jpg

All sorted, it was very easy once I realised you could just pull the gearstick panel off! lol
51bc3e8cc55bd-2013_06_15_11_02_38.jpg

All done
51bc3e8fedfaf-2013_06_15_11_09_25.jpg

Back