Grounding Systems

Sierra117

:
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
So I've been seeing these grounding systems from the big names, and I'm trying to figure out if its worth it, or if its just a bit of engine bay dress up? Any ideas on it? Are they worth it, and would they even be needed on our cars? Thanks a bunch.

Well buy one and let us know the results.. lol.. i only heard about the grounding systens in the import scene and i have to be honest, in the domestic scene, we laughed about this.

Well buy one and let us know the results.. lol.. i only heard about the grounding systens in the import scene and i have to be honest, in the domestic scene, we laughed about this.

I hardly see them anywhere except here. I mean, I guess every little bit helps...but I'm not gonna drop a few hundred bucks to be the test mule. I was just thinking if they are worth it, than that and the BCD/MBC would be a good birthday present to myself.

I remember a magazine tested a grounding kit on a project DSM a few years ago; They actually managed to gain 5whp or so, but that was after experimenting with several different grounding points. To me 5whp isn't worth that much dyno time, and there are many other options on the ms3 where more power can be made.

some car seem to actually benefit from grounding kits. i think a few extra ground wires cant hurt. of course if you get one of those nifty black box type kits then i dont know.

ground kits work.... sometimes

on a new car, may not notice too much difference since the wires are brand new and haven't had a chance to break or corrode. However, if a car is poorly grounded adding ground wires can make a big difference it driveability. It helps not so much with gains, but smooths out the hp/tq curves a bit which can be helpful. Also, don't spend $200 on buying one, buy the wire and do it yourself. Might run like $50 which suddenly makes the whole thing much more appealing.

disclaimer - I do not have a ground kit, I've just read some theories on them and seen a few dynos where they make a difference. Notably on the reg3 where grounding the throttle body smoothed out the hp/tq curves. Check the how-to section for more info

i have a partial sponsorship by a company that does wiring like this, just haven't gotten around to looking at the catalog. i still have to pay 30% of the price with them though.

Yea and $100 Monster Cable really makes that $500 surround system in a box sound just like the $5 grand system you saw at the store....:D

While I wont dispute if they make a difference or not on all cars from what I read the MS3 does NOT need or benefit from more grounding points (if the car comes from factory with sufficient grounding adding more wont do squat)

Ground systems like Apexi and Buddy Club not only ground the battery but keep the battery (or atleast try) at a constant 14Volts. And if you know about electrical systems...this will make everything run better, make your audio louder and clearer and more consistent. Although two batteries would help with this also, especially with an audio system.

Its been dyno proven on a base 3 before. The 3 picked up 10hp but only during like 400rpms of the power band.

So basically you get no more hp then before, but just have the maxium hp for about 400rpms longer.

I will see If i can find the Dyno, but will have to search through some other forums.

True. But there have been a couple dynos of 1-2hp. But you can do that with any dyno run.

I personally have the Buddy Club unit and did not experiance any change in hp. But I did notice that my volt meter reads a little closer to 14 when i get on the gas instead of dropping a little bit like it used to before the BCC.

The base 3 throttle improvement is "supposedly" gained because the throttle body casing is plastic and by grounding it improves throttle response... this whole topic was beaten to death on a few other threads... the MS3 throttle body is metal so grounding it wont do squat...

Ground systems like Apexi and Buddy Club not only ground the battery but keep the battery (or atleast try) at a constant 14Volts. And if you know about electrical systems...this will make everything run better, make your audio louder and clearer and more consistent. Although two batteries would help with this also, especially with an audio system.

Sorry I have to disagree with you... ground systems do NOT keep the battery or try to keep the battery at any constant voltage... the whole purpose of grounding wires are to try and keep ALL the electronics in the vehicle at the SAME reference ground potential.... here is a long winded explanation in laymans terms...

Think of Voltage as a measure of electrical energy between two points A and B where A = your positive terminal and B = your negative terminal and/or ground....if you measure it right at the battery posts you will measure say 12Volts.... if you now measure it from the positive terminal to say a ground point as far away from the battery/alternator as you can find you will prob. measure something lower say 11.5 Volts (exagerating the drop in voltage for clarity)

What happens is that the ground point far away sits at a higher voltage potential than the ground point on your battery post due to the resistance of the wire/chassis from battery post to the far awat ground point (the longer the wire and the lower the gauge the higher the resistance and the higher the voltage difference between battery post and ground end point) - How does this screw up your electronics? Basic assumption is that "ground" is a common reference so communication between sensors/computers/etc assume they all have the same reference ground - if one module and another module have grounds that are (in my exagerated example) half a volt different it will degrade the signals between the modules...this is what the "ground systems" try to address - by putting very large gauge wires they try and minimize loss due to resistance and improve signaling and overall voltage levels....

I still think a well designed car doesnt need aftermarket wires but with so many factors playing a role into chassis grounding it may help and will never hurt except maybe your pocket....

As far as helping battery keep constant voltage you are thinking of capacitors - those big 1 farad tubes you see people put so lights dont dim when base kicks in....

Mocoso is correct with what he said about wire length and potential of signal loss. A capacitor will help stabilize an audio system for bursts, once its discharged it actually hurts the electrical system because the capacitors draw power to recharge themselves so not only do you have caps draining your power your amplifier still needs food. What maintains a electrical system is mainly your alternator. Batteries do play a big role but your alt keeps your voltages stable eventually even deep cycle batteries will be drained , to get a constant 14v you'd need a regulator and a high output alternator a factory alternator wont be able sustain and full 14v usually. A factory grounding system for most sports cars is plenty however if you plan to run audio equipment I'd suggest ground upgrades.

Last edited:
Back